© Mr John Washington
NUMBERS 26-37 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 26-37 REGENCY SQUARE (north side)
BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Mr John Washington
01 October 2004
13 October 1952
Date of last amendment:
13 October 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3004SW REGENCY SQUARE
577-1/38/739 (North side)
13/10/52 Nos.26-37 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
Terraced houses. c1818. Probably by Amon Wilds and Amon Henry
Wilds. Stucco, except for the upper floors of Nos 30-33 which
have exposed or painted brickwork, roof of Welsh and
artificial slate so far as visible.
EXTERIOR: Nos 26-27, 30-33 and 36-37 of 4 storeys over
basement, the rest 3 storeys over basement with dormers;
one-window range except Nos 30-33 which are of 2-window range.
These houses fill the north side of Regency Square as seen
from King's Road, and are arranged symmetrically, with Nos
30-33 as a centrepiece and Nos 27-27 and 36-37 as wings.
Nos 30-33: Nos 30 and 33 are flanked by full-height panelled
pilasters; ground floor decorated with banded rustication;
Ionic prostyle porches, that to Nos 31 and 32 shared;
round-arched entrance with fanlight, ground- and first-floor
windows flat-arched, second- and third-floor windows slightly
cambered, and those to 4th floor segmental-arched and set back
under a segmental arch; ground-floor windows to Nos 30-32 have
blind boxes; verandahs to first-floor windows with cast-iron
railings; sill band to second-floor windows; No.32 has sashes
of original design to first and second floors; cornice/sill
band to 4th-floor windows; parapet with antefixae with
palmette ornament, raised over Nos 31 and 32 to form a
pediment, with incised lettering in the stucco, 'REGENCY
SQUARE'; stacks to party walls.
Nos 28-29 and 34-35: ground floor decorated with banded
rustication; Doric prostyle porches; round-arched entrance
with fanlight, Nos 28-29 having panelled doors of original
design; segmental bay to ground and first floor, broader on
the first floor, with tripartite windows and verandah to first
floor with cast-iron railings, cornice to bays; Nos 29, 34 and
35 have sashes of original design; No.28 has blind boxes to
INTERIOR: of No.28 has dogleg stair with curtail step,
wreathed handrail, stick balusters and open string; elliptical
arch at mezzanine with fluted pilasters and anthemion
decoration to the neck; the principal rooms on the ground and
first floors have original architraves and elaborate panelled
doors, with cornices and ceiling roses of possibly later date.
Nos 26-27 and 36-37: ground floor decorated with banded
rustication; Doric prostyle porches, lacking entablature
details on Nos 36-37; round-arched entrance with fanlight;
segmental bay to ground and first floor, broader to first
floor, with tripartite windows and verandah to first floor
with cast-iron railings and cornice to bays; recessed storey
band between second and third floors, missing on No.26; main
cornice; segmental-arched windows to 4th floor; No.36 has
sashes of original design; parapet with raised and pedimented
centre flanked by pilasters, those to Nos 26-27 having wreaths
and pendants with palmette ornament; stacks to party walls.
Cast-iron railings to steps and area with conical finials.