You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481137  

Print Page



© Mr John Washington

IoE Number: 481137
Location: NUMBERS 60-66 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 60-66 REGENCY SQUARE (east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr John Washington
Date Photographed: 01 October 2004
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3004SW REGENCY SQUARE 577-1/38/746 (East side) 13/10/52 Nos.60-66 (Consecutive) and attached railings GV II* Terraced houses. c1818. Probably by Amon Wilds and Amon Henry Wilds. Stucco to ground floor, and to upper floors of Nos 65-66, otherwise brick, now painted; roof of Welsh slate where visible. EXTERIOR: Nos 60-61 and 65-66 four storeys over basement with dormers; Nos 62-64 of 5 storeys over basement, one-window range. Nos 62-64 project slightly as a centrepiece. Ground floor decorated with banded rustication; Ionic prostyle porches, the entablature details lost on all but Nos 63 and 65; round-arched entrance with fanlight, No.64 having a cornice to doorcase with Greek key ornament and decorative glazing to fanlight; Nos 59 and 61 have entrances altered to windows; segmental bay to ground and first floor, broader to the first floor, with tripartite windows which have been altered on Nos 60-62, cornice to bays; cornice over third-floor windows, parapet to Nos 60-61 and 65-66 interrupted for segmental-arched dormers in mansard roof; Nos 62-4 have an attic storey with segmental-arched windows set back under a segmental arch; cornice and parapet, the parapet raised over the 4 central windows with panelling and a shallow pediment; stacks to party walls between Nos 62-64. INTERIOR: not inspected. Plaque on No.65 to Sir Edwin Landseer who lived there in 1841. Cast-iron railings to steps and area with conical finials.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.