© Ms Mary Allison
NUMBERS 1-14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-14 ROYAL CRESCENT (north side)
BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Ms Mary Allison
13 January 2005
13 October 1952
Date of last amendment:
13 October 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3203NW ROYAL CRESCENT
577-1/48/767 (North side)
13/10/52 Nos.1-14 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
Terraced houses. 1798-1807. Developed by JB Otto. Black
mathematical tiles, some houses refronted. Roofs of Nos 1,
3-7, 9, and 10 slate, Nos 4-5, and 9-10 have been turnerised.
The rest obscured by parapet or blocking course.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys over basement. 2 windows each. The facades
of Nos 1 and 14 are parallel to Marine Parade, the rest
arranged in a single arc between these 2; a full-height,
fluted pilaster at the end wall of No.14 terminates the
composition. Each unit has a full-height bay with tripartite,
flat-arched windows to the side of the entry; there are
verandahs or balconies to the first floor of each as well.
Entries to central units, Nos 7 and 8, are paired and framed
by Tuscan pilasters, entablature and a broad segmental
pediment. Flat-arched entries with overlights, framed by
Tuscan pilasters and entablature to Nos 1, 2, 6, 9, 10 (with
decorative glazing bars), 12, and 13; Nos 1 and 2 are topped
by segmental pediments. Round-arched entries with fanlights,
framed by Tuscan colonnettes, entablature and pediment of
raking cornices only to Nos 3, 4, 11, and 14, the jambs and
intrados of all but No.3 are panelled. Entry to No.5 is mid to
late C19, flat arched with rounded corners, framed by Tuscan
pilasters with chamfered corners; the capitals formed from
rosettes and egg-and-dart moulding; entablature blocks above
and cornice; decorative glazing in the overlight. The bays to
Nos 12 and 14 are segmental, the rest are canted. First-floor
verandahs to all but No.1, which has a first-floor balcony.
Verandahs and balcony are supported on cast-iron brackets and
have cast-iron railings; stanchions in cast-iron to Nos 5 and
6, Nos 6-7, and 9-14 are supported by cast-iron brackets.
Verandah roofs of metal; roofs to Nos 2, 7-8, and 10-14 are
convex in cross-section, Nos 3-6, and 9 have a cross section
close to a cyma recta curve. Entablature and modillioned
cornice to top floor; Nos 1-6, and 11-14 have a blocking
course, Nos 7-10 have a parapet, on which is painted the words
"Royal Crescent." Doors of original design to Nos 1, 4-7,
10-11, and 13-14. Stacks to party and end walls.
INTERIOR: not inspected. Railings to entries and area.
There is a grey plaque on No.4 which bears the inscription:
Laurence/ Baron Olivier/ of Brighton, O.M./ Actor/ 1907-1989/
Lived Here/ 1961-1979. Sir John Clements lived at No.7. The
Royal Crescent forms a group with Nos 68, 69, and 73-89 Marine
Parade (qv), and the Royal Crescent Hotel (qv).