You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481227  

Print Page



© Ms Mary Allison

IoE Number: 481227
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER (BRIGHTON PARISH CHURCH), ST PETER'S PLACE
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Ms Mary Allison
Date Photographed: 23 May 2005
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3104NW ST PETER'S PLACE 577-1/33/3 Church of St Peter (Brighton Parish 13/10/52 Church) GV II* Anglican church. Nave, aisles and west tower 1824-8 by Sir Charles Barry; the nave and aisles lengthened by one bay and a new chancel, vestry and south-east chapel added in 1898-1906 by George Somers Clarke the Younger and JT Micklethwaite; memorial hall to north added 1927. Ashlar, of Portland stone for Barry's work, and of Sussex sandstone for that of 1898-1906, roof obscured by parapet. PLAN: chancel, north-east vestry and south-east chapel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, memorial hall (all directions are ritual). Broadly, Perpendicular Gothic in style, the windows having rectilinear tracery except where specified. EXTERIOR: the east end has pinnacled angle buttresses; east window 4-centred with 11 lights set under an ogee hoodmould with a crowstepped gable above and emblems on shields in the spandrels; on the north side the chancel has an arcade of 6 3-light windows at clerestory level, then a canted tower, and then 2 more 3-light windows; on the south side there is a south-east chapel of 4 bays, its east window of 5 lights under a depressed arch and the south side having a 4-centred-arched entrance under a lean-to roof with ogee hoodmould, flanking lesenes, a band of dogtooth ornament and cornice, with four 4-centred, 4-light windows alongside, between pinnacled and crocketed buttresses; embattled parapet; the chancel clerestory is as for the north side. South aisle of 5 bays with pointed-arched, 3-light windows under hoodmoulds with head stops, the windows divided horizontally by a broad band of panel tracery corresponding to the former galleries; pinnacled and crocketed buttresses between; clerestory of 5 flat-arched windows with trefoiled and intersecting tracery between pinnacles; parapet pierced by quatrefoils and punctuated by gablets; the west end of this aisle has a pointed-arched entrance with steep gabled extrados, the tympanum filled with blank tracery and flanked by blind arcading, the whole under a 3-light window with curvilinear tracery and hoodmould with headstops. The north aisle is of matching design except that it was extended by Somers Clarke and Micklethwaite by one bay towards the east, the window tracery in this bay matching that of the chancel. Until the parapet is reached, the tower is almost as wide as the nave; buttressed octagonal piers at the corners; tall, shallow, pointed-arched and vaulted recesses on each of the open sides, and of identical design: they are flanked by moulded and pinnacled buttresses and have 2 orders of colonnettes crowned by an ogee hoodmould; pointed-arched entrance under a flat-arched hoodmould with quatrefoils in the spandrels surmounted by a band of blind arcading and then by a 3-light window with curvilinear tracery; the door itself panelled with blank tracery. The parapet of the nave continues round the tower with octagonal piers as crocketed pinnacles at the 4 corners; then, also square but set back from the parapet, the tower proper with small flying buttresses from the corner piers and octagonal piers at its own 4 corners; clock stage; 2-light belfry openings under an ogee hoodmould, the hoodmould flanked by blank tracery; parapet pierced by quatrefoils with corner and subsidiary side pinnacles. The memorial hall is rendered with stone dressings and roof of slate; it is 5-and-a-half bays long and has an 'east window' with 5 stepped lancets and a transom band; the 5 windows on the long side of 3 lights, Tudor-arched, between shallow buttresses; entrance in canted bay. INTERIOR: chancel and first bay of nave faced in stone, the rest of the church in plaster. Sanctuary has niches and sedilia with crocketed canopies to south side; choir arcade of 2 bays, the second bay to the north containing the organ which is by Henry Willis, of late C19 date, with a case of c1965 by AJ Denman; the arcades consist of clustered columns with wave mouldings; vault shafts supporting wooden brackets break through the coved frieze of scrolling foliage at wall-plate level; low-pitched, panelled roof with bosses and painted emblems; 2 corbelled and chamfered piers, each with a niche in, running up through the roof mark the transition from chancel to nave. Nave of 6 bays, the easternmost of 1898-1906, the arcade consisting of clustered columns with hollow mouldings, the columns to the nave and aisles acting as vault-shafts; the aisles and west end were galleried until 1898; sexpartite plaster roof to nave, with foliate bosses; canted apse at west end. South-east chapel of 1898 with flat panelled ceiling and a reredos in late Gothic style incorporating a triptych of c1918, painted by Edward A Fellowes Prynne. First bay of both aisles has a flat ceiling, and that to the south has a flat-arched entrance with an ornate crocketed archivolt of ogee profile. Quadripartite vaulting to aisles. Dado panelling to aisles and base of nave arcade. Octagonal pulpit of wood on a stone base, with late Gothic detailing, 1907; 2 trefoiled lancets either side of the apsed west end whose embrasures are stencilled in the style of GF Bodley; east window, and east and south-east windows in south chapel, by CE Kempe; Jesse window in north aisle by Hugh Easton. Wall monuments at west end include that to Joseph Allan, who died in 1851, a bracketed bust with drapery over, and to Emily Jane Crozier, a female figure with urn on column. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Pevsner N & Nairn I: The Buildings of England: Sussex: Harmondsworth: 1965-; Brighton Parish Church (church guide)).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.