You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481279  

Print Page



© Mrs Chris Dawson LRPS

IoE Number: 481279
Location: STANMER CHURCH, STANMER PARK
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mrs Chris Dawson LRPS
Date Photographed: 22 May 2000
Date listed: 02 November 1954
Date of last amendment: 02 November 1954
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3309 STANMER PARK 577-1/9/1108 Stanmer Church 02/11/54 GV II Anglican church, without a dedication. 1838. Flint with stone dressings, roofs of slate, shingles to the spire. Chancel, nave, north and south transepts, west tower and spire. In the Early English style. EXTERIOR: the east end has short gabled angle buttresses and an east window of 3 stepped lancets. All other windows have double chamfered reveals; those to the north and south sides of the chancel have trefoiled heads; pointed-arched entrance flanked by colonnettes to east side of south transept which has, on its south face, 3 stepped lancets; 2 paired and one single lancet to nave; west door in tower with double chamfer and hoodmould with head-stops; the tower has angle buttresses with 2 offsets; paired lancets to north and south with a circular clock opening above; the belfry has lancets flanked by colonnettes with hoodmoulds and head- and ballflower-stops; embattled parapet jettied out on decorative corbels; recessed octagonal spire. INTERIOR: walls of stone. Chancel panelled to east end; stone reredos with 3 trefoiled niches, the 2 outer niches decorated with foliage ornament in relief; panelled roof to chancel with moulded ribs and decorative bosses; chancel arch, and arches to north and south transepts, multi-moulded; arcaded screen to north transept; west organ gallery carried on slim quatrefoiled cast-iron columns, the balustrade having blank trefoiled arcading; panelled roof to nave, the trusses in the form of shallow pointed arches with decorative arcading in the spandrels. Monument in the north wall to Sir John Pelham, died 1550, removed from Stanmer House (qv): kneeling figures set within an architrave and surmounted by the Pelham arms. Organ of 1839, built as a mechanical organ by W Pilcher of London.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.