You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481302  

Print Page



© Mrs Chris Dawson LRPS

IoE Number: 481302
Location: THE FORMER STABLES OF STANMER HOUSE, STANMER PARK
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mrs Chris Dawson LRPS
Date Photographed: 29 May 2000
Date listed: 02 November 1954
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3309 STANMER PARK 577-1/9/1112 The former stables of Stanmer House 02/11/54 (Formerly Listed as: STANMER PARK The Stables at Stanmer House) GV II* Stables. c1725, probably much altered with refacing of inner walls in yellow brick and raising of outer walls in red brick. The building forms 3 sides of a courtyard with a low tower in the centre, over the carriage entrance. Yellow brick set in Flemish bond on the inner sides; the outer walls of coursed flints, with dressings of red brick, except that the walls on the north-west front have been raised in red brick set in English bond; the inner walls of yellow brick set in Flemish bond, and probably dating from the early C19; a late C19 wing added at the western corner is of flint with brick dressings; roofs of slate, Lakeland slate to the tower, Welsh and asbestos slate elsewhere. On the outer side the round-arched carriage entrance has been rebuilt in yellow brick with the remains of a red-brick soldier-arch above; it is flanked by flat-arched windows, with 3 segmental-arched windows above and a brick dentil cornice; pyramidal roof now lacking its finial; the wings to either side have small louvred openings, one segmental-arched window to the western end, and 2 loft doors breaking through the eaves under hipped roofs. On the inner side, the carriage entrance has a keystone marked with the Pelham buckle; the ground-floor openings are a mixture of lunette windows and round- and segmental-arched entrances, some now altered; there were segmental-arched carriage entrances at the ends of the wings, both of which are now altered and that to the east now blocked; storey band; the upper windows of the tower flat-arched; the parapet of the side wings interrupted by flat-arched dormer windows.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.