You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481312  

Print Page



© Mr Colin David Broome

IoE Number: 481312
Location: NUMBERS 1-10 AND ATTACHED PIERS AND RAILINGS, 1-10 SUSSEX SQUARE (west side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Colin David Broome
Date Photographed: 04 July 2007
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3303NW SUSSEX SQUARE 577-1/50/875 (West side) 13/10/52 Nos.1-10 (Consecutive) and attached piers and railings (Formerly Listed as: SUSSEX SQUARE Nos 1-50 (consec) (incl Chester Crt/ Prince Mans./ The Leas/ Sussex Crt/Mans.)) I Terraced houses. Facades date to 1825-1827, with the interiors carried out by purchasers over the next several years. Architects, Amon Wilds and Charles Augustin Busby; Thomas Cubitt builder of some of the units; developed by Thomas Read Kemp. Stucco and brick in Flemish bond. Roofs of slate, except for that of No.10 which is of tile. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic over basement except for No.5 which has 3 segmental-arched dormers of C20 instead of an attic storey. 3 windows each. Starting with No.1, every third unit (that is, Nos 1, 4, 7 and 10) has a giant tetrastyle pilastrade of the Composite order applied to the first and second floors; the attic of these units is articulated by a plain pilastrade on axis with the giant order below. The terrace is given a uniform appearance by common features which include: ground floor of banded rustication, first-floor balconies with cast-iron railings and brackets; storey band between the first and second floors of each unit interrupted only by the giant pilasters and the building joins; all openings flat arched; entablature with projecting cornice. The architects negotiated the level change of Sussex Square by breaking joins between Nos 3 and 4, 6 and 7, and 9 and 10; the latter stands on its own at the north end of the terrace above the rest. Despite an initial impression of unity, minor features vary from unit to unit. Perhaps most noticeable is the variety of materials: the brick walls of the first, second and attic floors of Nos 1-3 are exposed, all windows in these areas with lintels of gauged brick and all except for those in the basement have architraves; although the first and second floors to Nos 4-6 follow the same pattern their attic storeys are covered in stucco and the architraves are found only on the first- and second-floor windows with the exception of No.4; while the facades of Nos 7-10 are covered in stucco, the return of the end unit is in brick. The flat-arched entrance of each is treated according to no fixed pattern. The entrances to Nos 1 and 2 are paired, reached by a short flight of steps and set under a porch formed from a Doric tetrastyle portico the columns of which are coupled to provide broad entryways; entablature with triglyph and metope frieze. The sides are filled in by a screen wall each pierced by a round-arched window. The top of each porch is enclosed by cast-iron railings functioning as an extension to the first-floor balcony. A second type of entrance porch can be found on Nos 3 and 6: Doric prostyle porch with coupled responds and side walls also pierced by one round-arched window each ; entablature with triglyph and metope frieze. The broadest porch covers the entrances of Nos 4 and 5, which, like that to Nos 1 and 2, consists of tetrastyle portico of fluted Doric columns and entablature with triglyph and metope frieze; unlike the porch at Nos 1-2, the centre columns are coupled at the party wall; responds to each; each side wall pierced by a round-arched window; note that the former entrance to No.5 has been blocked by conversion of the pair into flats; likewise the entrance to No.1 is now through No.2; the entrance to No.8 also blocked. Nos 7 and 8 are without entrance porches. That to No.9 is set under a shallow porch the walls of which end in antae of attached, fluted Doric columns supporting a plain entablature. Entrance porch of No.10 is prostyle with Tuscan columns supporting a plain entablature; side walls end in antae which stop just short of the columns. Doors of original 4-panel, studded design to Nos 3 and 5-10; Nos 1, 2 and 4 now much altered; each doorcase composed of a pair of Tuscan pilasters supporting a lintel treated as an entablature. All windows are flat arched. Sashes of original design: basement, 3 x 6 sashes, in all but Nos 6 and 7; 2 x 4 sashes to ground floor of Nos 4 and 9 only; floor-to-ceiling, first-floor windows of 2 x 4 design to Nos 1, 2 and 4 x 6; 3 x 6 sashes to second floor of Nos 1, 2 and 4, with top sashes only to Nos 7-10; 3 x 3 sashes to attic of all but Nos 3, 5 and 6. Railings to stairs and areas. Stacks to party and end walls. INTERIOR: not inspected. This listing includes rear to Rock Street, where there are piers in the form of truncated Doric columns and cast-iron railings to areas and rear entrances; rear elevation has, in addition, many sashes of original design, those to the first-floor French doors having margin lights. Sussex Square is an important part of the Kemp Town lay-out including Lewes Crescent, Arundel Terrace, Chichester Terrace and related buildings.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.