You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481313  

Print Page



© Mr Colin David Broome

IoE Number: 481313
Location: NUMBERS 11-40 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 11-40 SUSSEX SQUARE (north side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Colin David Broome
Date Photographed: 04 July 2007
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3303NW SUSSEX SQUARE 577-1/50/876 (North side) 13/10/52 Nos.11-40 (Consecutive) and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: SUSSEX SQUARE Nos 1-50 (consec) Chester Crt, Prince Mansions, The Leas, Sussex Crt & Mansions) I Terraced houses, most now converted into flats. Facades date to 1825-1827, with the interiors executed over the next several years. Designed by Amon Wilds and Charles Augustin Busby for the developer of Kemp Town, Thomas Read Kemp; Thomas Cubitt was the builder of some of the units. Stucco, painted and unpainted brick in Flemish bond. Gambrel roofs of slate to Nos 13-19, 21-24, 28 and 38; of slate turnerised to Nos 20, 29 and 36; of pantiles to 10, 11, 39 and 40; the roof of No.35 in the course of repair during the inspection. Roofs of the rest obscured by parapet. EXTERIOR: with the exception of Nos 25 and 26 (see below) each unit of 3-window range. 3 storeys and attic to Nos 11-17, 20, 24-27, 31, 32, and 34-40; the rest have 3 dormer windows each, those to Nos 18, 19, 23 and 33 are segmental arched, those to Nos 21 and 22 are flat arched. The entire group arranged on a U-shaped plan. Every third unit in the arms of the "U", that is, Nos 11, 14 and 17 on the left and Nos 34, 37 and 40 on the right, projects slightly from the intervening units and is distinguished by a giant tetrastyle portico of Composite pilasters applied to the first and second floors; in the attic storey, is a plain pilastrade on the same axis as that below. This same motif can be found on Nos 1-10 and 41-50 Sussex Square (qv), the houses to Lewes Crescent (qv) and on units in Chichester and Arundel Terraces (qv). For the climax of Sussex Square, however, CA Busby varied the type in the central range of the "U", closing the square to the north and giving a central point of emphasis to this most important group. The corner units of the north range, that is, Nos 20 and 31, are given the familiar tetrastyle portico, while Nos 24-27 form a centrepiece which, taken together, has a 15-window range. The pair at the centre, Nos 25 and 26, have a 9-window range between them, project beyond the wall plane of all other units in the ensemble, and are capped by a shallow pediment above the parapet. The resulting bay rhythm can be notated thus: a, b, b, b, a, c, c, a, b, b, b, a. Features which are common to all units and which help to unify this very large group include: ground floors rendered as banded rustication; floor-to-ceiling first-floor openings leading onto a continuous balcony or verandah with similar cast-iron railings and brackets; storey band between the first and second floors of each unit; above second floor of each an entablature with projecting cornice, the upper fascia of which is level with the sills of the attic windows; flat-arched openings except where specified below; overlights to all entrances. As with all units in this group there are sufficient variations from the common type to warrant a detailed description of each. Although the ground floors and all architectural features are rendered in stucco, the walls of many are of unpainted brick in Flemish bond: No.16, first and second floors only; Nos 17-21, 23, 33 and 34; the lintels of all the above are gauged brick, except for Nos 33 and 34 which have architraves in stucco. All floors of Nos 22, 24-27 and 31 are of painted brick in Flemish bond. Although the entrance porches vary as to detail and plan, there is one type more common than the rest. Nos 16, 24, 26, 27, 29 and 33-39 adhere to this common type which is comprised of side walls ending in antae, each taking the form of a fluted Doric column with responds; each side wall is pierced by one round-arched window; entablature with triglyph and metope frieze, which is whole or partly gone from Nos 34, 35 and 37. Entrances to Nos 11 and 12 are paired and set under tetrastyle portico comprised of fluted Doric columns, the centre 2 coupled at the party wall to create wide gaps in front of each entrance; straight side walls end in antae, the right side wall reduced to nothing more than a parapet; behind the coupled columns in the centre is a straight side wall ending in 2 Tuscan antae; each porch is ceiled by a segmental barrel vault which springs from a moulded cornice now much defaced. No.13 has an Ionic prostyle porch with straight side walls on the same axis as the columns and responds; the porch is ceiled with a segmental barrel vault which springs from an egg-and-dart cornice. Entrances to Nos 14 and 15 are paired under a porch with an entablature carried on 2 straight side walls and an extension of the party wall in the centre, all ending in antae; both have an egg-and-dart cornice just below the ceiling, which, in No.15, is treated as a segmental barrel vault. The porch to No.18 consists of a plain entablature supported by a pair of pierced side walls ending in antae. The entrances to Nos 19 and 20 are reached through a porch which, in plan, resembles a chamfered corner; the corner piers have mutules at their intersection with the entablature which is ornamented by a frieze of wreaths; parapet above pierced by balusters in the form of Doric columns. The former entrance to No.21 now filled by window; a mid C19 encaustic tile pavement remains to mark the old entrance. Entrance to No.22 set in tripartite Tuscan aedicule. The entrances to Nos 31 and 32, which are paired at the right-hand corner, are most elaborate and set under a corner porch similar to that which covers Nos 19 and 20; the wall between the entrances is pierced by a round-arched window and ends in a Tuscan anta. Door to No.31 remodelled in late C19 or early C20 in a Baroque-Revival style; doorcase to No.32 remodelled at roughly same time but in an Arts and Crafts style; evidence of original entrance to No.31 plainly visible, now filled with parapet and window. Encaustic tile pavement of late C19 date in front of entrance to No.33 in very good condition. The entrance to No.34, now filled in by a window, set into aedicule consisting of fluted Tuscan columns and entablature with triglyph and metope frieze. The end units in the right side of the "U" have been converted into a single block of flats, the entrance to which is set on the return and dates probably to the late C19; to the left of this entrance is a 2-storey rusticated bay with a shaped gable. Many 4-panel studded doors of original design: Nos 11, 12, 13 (with sidelights), 19, 22, 24, 27 (the latter 2 with sidelights), 28, 32, 33 (with sidelights), 34, 35 (with double doors), 36-38 (all with sidelights) and 39 where the door has been moved forward to enclose the porch. The architectural system of giant Composite pilasters is carried across the returns, that to No.11 has, in addition, 2 first-floor verandahs. The roofs of all porches are enclosed by balcony railings and, in some cases, roofed by a verandah. Glazed verandahs with concave metal roofs on Nos 24, 25 and 27. Many sashes of original or mid C19 design in the group. Basement windows: 3 x 6 to Nos 11, 14-16, 18-20, 22, 23-34 and 38; 2 x 2 to Nos 12 and 13; 4 x 8 to Nos 35-37, 39 and 40. Ground-floor windows: 1 x 1 with margin lights to Nos 26 and 27; 2 x 4 to No.34; 6 x 6 to Nos 20 and 25. First-floor windows: 9 x 9 to Nos 19, 20 and 25; 2 x 4 to No.34; 6 x 12 to No.39; 2-pane transom over 3-pane French doors to No.40. Second-floor windows: 3 x 6 to Nos 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23 and 34-40. Attic windows: 3 x 3 to Nos 11, 15 (left window only), 20, 27, 32, 36, 39 and 40. Dormer windows: 3 x 3 to Nos 18, 19, 23, 27, 29 and 33. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Blue plaque on No.22 reads: "Thomas Read Kemp, Founder of Kemp Town, Lived Here from 1827 to 1837. Erected by the Regency Society". White plaque on No.11 reads: "The Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) stayed here frequently between 1874 and 1887. Erected by the Regency Society". Kemp Town constitutes a most important group comprising Arundel Terrace, Chichester Terrace, Lewes Crescent, Sussex Square and related structures on The Esplanade.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.