You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481343  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA

IoE Number: 481343
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, THE GREEN (east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA
Date Photographed: 03 August 2004
Date listed: 13 October 1071
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3602NE THE GREEN, Rottingdean 577-1/60/1071 (East side) 13/10/52 Church of St Margaret GV II* Anglican church. Norman nave, tower and chancel of c1200, south aisle of 1856 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, who carried out a restoration of the church as a whole at that date; choir and clergy vestries of 1973-4 by Denman and Son. Random flint with stone dressings, roof of tiles; the C19 work to the chancel, south aisle and west end marked by a tighter use of flint. EXTERIOR: the east end has 3 lancets of equal height, dating from 1856, with a common hoodmould and a blank quatrefoil above; the south wall of the chancel has one pointed-arched entrance with an elaborately moulded architrave and hoodmould of C19 date; one plain lancet to right of the entrance, and one lower lancet to the left with a trefoiled head, probably of C14 date; a C17 stone bracket survives between this window and the entrance; one plain lancet to north wall. The tower is of 3 stages and flanked to north and south by angle buttresses; plain lancet window, with 2 narrow bell openings above and one such narrow opening to east and to west; pyramidal roof. The south aisle has paired trefoiled lancets with common hoodmoulds to east and south sides and a single trefoiled lancet to the west, the latter of C14 date and resited by Scott; lean-to roof of lead. On the north side of the nave there are, from the tower, 2 pairs of lancets, then a single lancet, than another pair; between the second pair and the single lancet, a low opening, now blocked, with decayed dressed stonework, possibly deriving from the earlier Saxon church. The west end has a pointed-arched entrance with hollow- and wave-moulds and hoodmould with head-stops of St Margaret of Antioch and St Richard of Chichester; the west door has elaborate Gothic Revival decoration to the hinges; the west end flanked by 2 massive buttresses with one offset, of late C14 date, and an additional angle buttress to the south, of early C19 date; cross at apex of gable. Choir and clergy vestries of 2 storeys, square in plan, the principal part under a hipped roof and the upper part set back. Set into the west end of the south aisle are 2 stones, in memory of Sir Edward Burne-Jones and his wife Georgiana, who are buried there. INTERIOR: the interior has the peculiar feature that the level of the floor is raised by 3 steps from the nave to the 'crossing' under the tower, and then by 3 steps again to the chancel. The interior was plastered and the nave reroofed by Scott; features of earlier interest are the priest's doorway in the chancel with C13 mouldings; the crown post roof to the chancel with arched braces and cambered tie beams, possibly of a date with the chancel; and the chancel arch and the arch to the crossing, which are triple chamfered; the nave arcade to the south is of 3 bays, the restored columns having Early English capitals and an inner order to the pointed arch. Gallery to west end with balustrade possibly of C18 date. Remains of Norman font kept at the west end of the south aisle, by a font of similar design dating from 1910. Behind the pulpit, a memorial tablet surmounted by a bust of Thomas Redman Hooker. Polished Purbeck marble slab tomb of Thomas Pelling in the chancel, 1732. Stained glass by Morris and Company: east window 1893; lancets either side of the chancel, Mary Virgin and St Margaret, 1894; lancets either side of the 'crossing' 1897; Ridsdale window in north side of nave 1902; Rowden window in north side of nave 1919; all the designs are by Burne-Jones except for the figures of Christ bearing the Cross and St George and the Dragon in the Rowden window, which are by JH Dearle. Chancel window in memory of Sir Wentworth Dilke, 1922 by Townshend. (Sewter AC: The Stained Glass of William Morris and his circle - a catalogue: 1975-: 163-4; Pevsner N & Nairn I: The Buildings of England: Sussex: Harmondsworth: 1965-; The Parish Church of St Margaret, Rottingdean: Rottingdean: 1990-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.