You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481346  

Print Page



©  Lorna Freeman

IoE Number: 481346
Location: COURT HOUSE AND NUMBER 1 AND 2 COURT HOUSE CLOSE, 1 AND 2 THE GREEN (north side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Lorna Freeman
Date Photographed: 22 June 2007
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3602NE THE GREEN, Rottingdean 577-1/60/1074 (North side) 13/10/52 Court House and Nos.1 and 2 Court House Close GV II* Court House reads as a single house, though abutted by Court House Close. C18. Dressed flints on a base of cobbles, stucco, roof of tiles. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5-window range, double-fronted. Central porch with chamfered columns and spreading cap supporting entablature consisting principally of a band of bolection-moulded brackets to the frieze; panelled doorcase with flat-arched entrance, fanlight with intersecting tracery and panelled door of original design; brick quoins to right-hand side and ground floor of left-hand side, rendered to first floor on the left; all windows flat-arched with plain stuccoed architraves and a minimal cornice over the ground-floor windows; moulded eaves cornice; end stacks of red brick. Court House was formerly the farmhouse of Court House Farm. No.1 Court House Close is a lower wing on the east side of Court House: rendered, roof of tiles; 2 storeys and one-window range with sashes of original design. No.2 Court House Close is a building attached at the rear to Court House: painted cobbles with brick dressings, roof of tiles; 2 storeys, one-window range to The Green; segmental-arched openings much renewed; a single-storey gabled wing comes forward to the road, now a garage. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.