© Miss Esther Harbour
THE TOWER OR PEPPER POT, 1 TOWER ROAD
BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Miss Esther Harbour
03 August 2005
13 October 1952
Date of last amendment:
26 August 1999
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ3204NW TOWER ROAD
13/10/52 The Tower or "Pepper Pot"
(Formerly Listed as:
The Tower or the "Pepper Box")
Garden observation tower, built for the grounds of Attree
Villa (not included). 1830. Designed by Charles Barry for the
Brighton Solicitor and property developer, Thomas Attree.
Cement scored to resemble ashlar blocks. Domical roof also in
cement. Base is octagonal in plan; upper stages circular in
EXTERIOR: 4 stages. The lowest stage has a plinth from which
rise battered walls to an entablature with projecting cornice.
The entrance is set in the south-east face, in front of which
is a semicircular area enclosed by low parapet walls. The drum
to the second stage is low, defined by a plinth below and a
cornice above. The third stage is the tallest and most
prominent. 11 giant attached columns of the Composite order
support an entablature with a modillioned cornice. In the
upper reaches of the wall between each pair of columns is one
flat-arched window with a sill band. A wall band the height of
each capital projects forward slightly to articulate this
area. The line of each column continues into the 4th, top
stage, expressed by a pilastrade. The area between each pair
of pilasters is treated as a recessed panel. The entablature
of the top stage is very rich, and steps out about each
pilaster. The vertical lines terminate in a series of ball
finials above the cornice. The elliptical dome is fielded. At
the very top, in metal, an urn.
HISTORICAL NOTE: in the 1960s the single-storey extension
opposite the entrance was converted into a public lavatory by
the Borough Council. The building's original purpose can only
be speculated (it may have housed a water tower or even served
as a sewer vent). Since construction it has served several
purposes. In the mid to late C19 George Duddell, who purchased
Attree Villa and grounds in 1863, used it to print the
"Brighton Daily Mail". It was presented to the Corporation
with the rest of the estate in 1891. During the WWII it was
used as a military observation tower, and after as a
headquarters for a boy scout troupe, and, later still, as an
artist's studio. It is known locally as the "Pepper Pot".
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 138C).