You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481403  

Print Page



© Mr Duncan Noel-Paton

IoE Number: 481403
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, UPPER NORTH STREET (south side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Duncan Noel-Paton
Date Photographed: 03 July 2007
Date listed: 10 June 1988
Date of last amendment: 26 June 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3004NW UPPER NORTH STREET 577-1/31/927 (South side) 10/06/88 Church of St Mary Magdalene and attached walls and railings (Formerly Listed as: UPPER NORTH STREET St Mary Magdalene Roman Catholic Church) GV II Roman Catholic church. 1861-2. By Gilbert Blount. Red brick set in English bond with dressings of stone, black brick and blue-glazed brick, spire of stone. 2-bay chancel, nave of 5 bays with north and south aisles, north tower and north-east vestry. EXTERIOR: all openings have stone hoodmoulds with voussoirs above of black and blue-glazed brick, linked to springing bands of the same materials. Window tracery a mixture of geometrical and flamboyant. East window in the form of a spherical triangle with flamboyant tracery. South-east chapel under a pitched roof with angle buttresses, pointed-arched east window with quatrefoil over 3 cusped lancets; 2 south windows with stilted arches and quasi-quatrefoil over 2 cusped lancets. South aisle of 5 bays, the windows pointed-arched with a quatrefoil over 2 cusped lancets, buttresses between the second, third and 4 bays from the west and between the aisle and the south chapel; clerestory of 10 stilted segmental-pointed arches with 2 cusped lancets each. Entrance in western bay of south aisle, shoulder-arched under a pointed arch with multi-moulded arch dying into deep chamfered jambs. The north side is treated in the same way, except that the tower abuts the second bay of the north aisle: tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses; pointed-arched entrance flanked by engaged columns with foliage capitals supporting 2 orders of moulded arches; gabled buttresses to either side with gabled niches for statues; 2 lancets to second stage; paired cusped lancets under a stilted pointed arch to belfry; corbel table; broach spire with 2-light lucarnes. Single-storey vestry partly under a pitched roof with two 3-light cusped windows under a segmental arch flush with the wall, lower parapeted part to west with pointed-arched entrance; low wall to Upper North Street of brick with stone chamfered coping; piers and railings survive west of the tower, but not to the east. (Builder: 3 August 1861, 8 March 1862).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.