You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481443  

Print Page



©  Robert E Priest LRPS

IoE Number: 481443
Location: CHURCH OF ST PAUL AND ATTACHED WALLS, WEST STREET (east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Robert E Priest LRPS
Date Photographed: 17 January 2001
Date listed: 20 August 1971
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3004SE WEST STREET 577-1/39/965 (East side) 20/08/71 Church of St Paul and attached walls (Formerly Listed as: WEST STREET St Paul's Church) II* Anglican church. 1846-8, designed by Richard Cromwell Carpenter and built by George Cheeseman; the tower and spire by Richard Herbert Carpenter, 1873-5; narthex of 1887, and fishermen's institute at the west end, both by George Frederick Bodley; on the south side of the church, a covered way leading to the west end, by Bodley, remodelled by John Leopold Denman, 1937. Knapped flint with limestone dressings, wood, lead, roof of slates and tiles. PLAN: chancel under lower roof, nave, north and south aisles, north tower at the junction of chancel and nave. EXTERIOR: angle buttresses to chancel; 3 bays to south with 3 pointed-arched windows of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery and buttresses between; small gabled chapel alongside the 2 westernmost bays of the chancel, its east window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery; east window to south aisle partly obscured. Principal entrance in east face of tower: pointed-arched portal with clustered columns and elaborate moulding to arch, embracing 2 segmental-arched entrances with foliage architraves; the trumeau acts as a corbel to a statue of St Paul in the tympanum, the rest of which is filled with roundels depicting scenes from the life of St Paul. The tower has angle buttresses and rises sheer to the belfry unarticulated apart from 2 plain stone bands; paired ogee lights to the belfry, and above them the tower and spire are constructed of wood sheathed in lead; the tower is octagonal with tall 2-light, one-transom windows to each face with geometrical tracery; buttresses crowned by pinnacles at each corner; balustrade with most details missing; short spire. Walls to street either side of east end: flint banded and coped with dressed stone, with a gabled pier to north end; these walls originally enclosed a forecourt, and were rebuilt in their present position following street-widening in the 1930s. INTERIOR: the interior of the church is plastered. The chancel has fragments of a painting of c1860 on either side of the reredos and fragments on stencils on the north wall. It is paved with encaustic tiles by Minton's, using an early decorative design in the sanctuary and down the centre of the choir, and red and black alternating tiles for the rest. The chancel windows are framed by engaged colonnettes and archivolts. Painted decoration to the ceiling, with banded ribs, bosses and sacred emblems, designed by GF Bodley c1905. Organ by Hunter and Sons of Clapham, 1893, with crocketed and embattled pinnacles; choir stalls decorated with blank cinquefoil arcading and carved misericords. Chancel arch of 3 clustered columns with foliage and double-chamfered arch; rood screen with cinquefoil tracery to the arcade by RC Carpenter; the figures of saints painted on the lower panels by S.Bell, the vaulted canopy and rood designed by GF Bodley and executed c1910. Wall painting over the chancel arch, Christ in Glory, by S Bell. Nave of 6 bays with quatrefoil columns and double-chamfered arches; timber roof with arched braces carried on carved corbels, and 3 layers of curved wind-braces. The north and south aisles have details and openings not visible from the outside of the church; south aisle: one pointed-arched entrance, now blocked, an east window with quatrefoil tracery and 6 windows to the south with trefoil tracery; north aisle: pointed-arched entrance to vestry at east end with chamfered piers and archivolt, a shoulder-arched entrance and 5 windows with trefoil tracery in the north wall, and one window in the west wall. Both aisles have lean-to roofs with braces carried on carved corbels. Chapel of the Holy Spirit, at the south-east corner, now a store, with panelled dado and glass to the lantern by CE Kempe. All the stained glass in the chancel, nave and aisles, apart from the window over the former entrance in the south aisle, was designed by AW Pugin c1848, and made by Hardman and Co.; the Tree of Jesse in the east window and the figures of St Paul and his companions in the west window are particularly notable, and have been repaired and refurbished by David Lawrence, 1990-91. It is most unusual to find a church almost all of whose windows are filled with stained glass of one date by Pugin and Hardman. Pulpit by RC Carpenter, octagonal and of wood, decorated with blank tracery and painting in panels, standing on a stone octagonal shaft; the tester added c1960. Elaborate early C19 Neoclassical communion rails, from a church in Edinburgh; and rails of similar style and date behind the central altar from the Convent of St Mary, Rottingdean. Alabaster memorial to Fr. AD Wagner, designed by GF Bodley, c1902, not visible at the time of inspection. Early C16 retable in the south aisle; and on the south wall of the south aisle, a small bronze and enamel memorial to William Bainbridge Reynolds and his wife, presumably by Reynolds, c1935. Octagonal stone font by RC Carpenter, plain apart from a small panel carved in low relief. In the narthex, 2 groups of 4 trefoiled windows in the west wall and one sexfoil window in the south wall with glass by Charles Eamer Kempe. Fisherman's institute: fireplace with massive, segmental-arched canopy designed by GF Bodley; panelling of 1937. The main part of the covered passage to the south, remodelled by JL Denman, has a low timber roof with pointed-segmental arches and decorative leading to the windows. HISTORICAL NOTE: St Paul's was paid for by the Rev. HM Wagner, and his son, the Rev. AD Wagner, was its first perpetual curate and later its vicar. It was designed to serve the poorer community in the western part of the town and was the first centre of the Oxford Movement in Brighton. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; School of Architecture and Interior Design, Brighton Polytechnic: A Guide to the Buildings of Brighton: Brighton: 1987-; Pevsner N & Nairn I: The Buildings of England: Sussex: Harmondsworth: 1965-; St Paul's Church Brighton: A brief history and guide: Brighton).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.