You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 481454  

Print Page



© Mr Duncan Noel-Paton

IoE Number: 481454
Location: THE WESTERN PAVILION AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 9 WESTERN TERRACE (east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Duncan Noel-Paton
Date Photographed: 04 July 2007
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3004SW WESTERN TERRACE 577-1/38/975 (East side) 13/10/52 No.9 The Western Pavilion and attached railings GV II* Single house. 1827-28. By Amon Henry Wilds, for himself. Stucco, roof, so far as visible, presumably of lead, now painted. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over basement, 11-window range to Western Terrace. The house is designed in imitation of the Royal Pavilion. Entrance flanked by 2 bays of contrasting plan and elevation; the entrance itself is pointed-arched with cusping and a parapet above embattled in an Oriental style; behind the parapet the first floor is set back with a window in the shape of a Christmas cracker. To the left of the entrance is a bay which forms almost 3-quarters of a circle in plan with 3 windows to the ground floor with cusped pointed arches set back under a cusped pointed arch the centre window blind; the windows framed by pilasters and a kind of entablature, the lower part of the pilasters fluted and blocked rather in the manner of giant fasces; first-floor windows flat-arched with chamfered corners, set in pairs framed by rectangular architraves, the central 4 windows blind; deep bracketed eaves; onion dome with finial. To the right of the entrance the house is in 2 parts, both of 2 storeys, the second set back a little from the first, and each part marked out by octagonal columns terminating in elaborate Indian-style finials at the corners. The first part has a single-storey canted bay in front with 3 cusped pointed-arched windows, the central one blind, and a roll-moulded cornice and embattled parapet; 3 first-floor windows, square with chamfered corners and embattled parapet. The second part has similar windows as the first to the west front with a blind embattled storey band between, and, facing south, one window on each floor, both flat-arched with roll-moulded cornices, and blind embattled storey band interrupted by first floor windows, roll-moulded cornice and blocking course. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.