You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 482022  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 482022
Location: NUMBERS 15-28 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 15-28 LEWES CRESCENT (east side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3303NW LEWES CRESCENT 577-1/50/374 (East side) 13/10/52 Nos.15-28 (Consecutive) and attached railings I Terraced houses, most now converted into flats. Facades completed between 1823 and 1828. Designed by Amon Wilds and Charles Augustin Busby for the developer Thomas Read Kemp; the builder Thomas Cubitt is known to have erected 10 houses of the total number in Lewes Crescent. Stucco; painted brick in Flemish bond to first and second floors of first- through third-window ranges of No.28. Roofs to all but No.22, which is obscured, of slate; slate turnerised to No.23. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic over basement; Nos 20, 21, 26 and 27 have 3 dormers each instead of an attic storey; Nos 17 and 18 have a C20 storey above the attic. Nos 17-27 have 3 windows each. No.16 has a 9-window range and No.28 has a 6-window range. The west (Nos 1-14, qv) and east halves of Lewes Crescent are laid out as arcs forming the debouchment of Sussex Square (qv) to the north and acting as transitions to Chichester Terrace (qv) and Arundel Terrace (qv) to the south. To provide a transition, the end units in the Lewes Crescent Terraces, that is, Nos 15-16 and 28, are convex in plan, reversing the curve along which the intermediary units are laid out. Although the scheme is similar in general conception to that for Nos 1-14 (qv), the treatment of individual units varies sufficiently to warrant a detailed description. Every third unit treated as a porticoed bay, that is, Nos 15-16 (which have a continuous portico), 19, 22, 25 and the first- through third-window ranges of No.28. The centre of the terrace, No.22, is marked by a slightly stilted attic storey. There are straight joins between every 3 units, 17-19, 20-22, 23-25, and 26-28, and a corresponding level change thus negotiating the slope of Lewes Crescent from north to south. Features common to each unit are repeated from Nos 1-14. The roof of each entrance porch enclosed by an extension of the verandahs or balconies; broad areas enclosed by cast-iron railings of similar design; all openings are flat arched, except for the dormers, which are segmental arched. All entrances have overlights and are reached by a short flight of stairs, which are set within porches designed as variations on prostyle and tetrastyle porticoes, the latter being found on Nos 18-19 and 21-22 which are paired. Here follows a description of the entrance porches. No.16 has a prostyle porch of fluted Doric columns; its straight side walls, which are in the same plane as the columns, end in antae just short of them; entablature with projecting cornice. Porches of similar plan can be found throughout the terrace. There is a 4-panel studded door of original design which can be found on many of the units. This door is set in doorcase of 4 Tuscan pilasters with sidelights; the entablature to the doorcase has a cornice cast in a leaf and dart pattern, this same moulding being used as the springing band for the segmental vaulted roof of the porch. There is a balustrade in stucco cement enclosing a first-floor balcony on the roof. Porch and door of No.17 similar to that of No.16 except that the right-side wall is pierced by a round-arched opening. Paired entrances to 18 and 19 are set under tetrastyle portico of unfluted Doric columns, the centre pair of which are coupled to make broad gaps for the entrances; straight side walls run from responds to antae stopping just short of the columns; wall on axis with party wall pierced by one round-arched window; No.18 only has a door of original design. Porch of No.20 prostyle with fluted Doric columns on same plan as that to No.16; each side wall pierced by one round-arched window. Entrances to Nos 21 and 22 are paired and set under a single tetrastyle portico with fluted Doric columns, the whole following the same plan as that to Nos 18 and 19; the side walls are pierced by one round-arched window each; the entablature has a triglyph and metope frieze; the ceiling of this porch is coffered, its cornice moulded with a palmette and lotus pattern; each 6-panelled door is of early to mid C19 design and set in doorcases of 4 Tuscan pilasters. Porches to Nos 23 and 24 each with fluted Doric columns and following pattern established by No.16; each side wall of No.23 pierced by one round-arched window with a sill band below. The right wall of No.24 porch also formed the left wall of No.25, the porch of which follows the pattern established by No.16. Same plan to porch of No.25, with the right wall only reduced to a parapet and glazed to underside of entablature. Porch to No.27 similar to that of No.16, each side wall pierced by one round-arched window. Porch to No.28 unique in the terrace: distyle in antis with Ionic columns attached to antae in plane of front wall; banded rustication to interior walls of porch which is nearly square in plan, the corners near the door being chamfered; right- side wall pierced by round-arched window with margin glazing of original design; a sill band to this window runs between antae and responds; 6-panel door of early to mid C19 design. Many windows in the group have architraves: ground through second floors of Nos 16, 19, 20, and 21; to ground and first floor only of No.26; to second floor only of No.25; and to No.27 there are remains of an architrave to the transoms of the first-floor windows only. All these windows have projecting sills, with the obvious exception of the first-floor windows; each second-floor window of No.22 has a moulded sill supported by a pair of console brackets. A considerable number of sashes of original or early to mid C19 design survive. Basement sashes of 6 x 6 design to Nos 23, 25, 26 and 27; of 8 x 8 design to Nos 19, 22 and 24. Ground-floor sashes of 1 x 1 with margin lights to Nos 19, 23 and 28; of 2 x 2 design to Nos 20, 21 and 22. French doors to first floor with 3 panes under 2 light transom to Nos 19 and 23; the transoms only of No.26 have margin lights. Second-floor windows with sashes of 3 x 6 design to window-ranges one through 3 and 7 through nine of No.16; of 2 x 2 design to Nos 20, 21 and 22. Attic windows of 3 x 3 design to same window ranges of No.16; of 2 x 2 design to No.22 only. The attic window in the fifth-window range of Nos 16 and 28 is blocked. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Lord Frederick Elwyn-Jones (1908-1989), a Labour MP, prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials and Lord Chancellor in the 1970s, lived at No.17. No.18 bears a commemorative plaque with the following inscription: "Dame Anna Neagle, 1904-1986, Actress, and Herbert Wilcox, 1890-1977, Film Producer, lived here, 1953-1969". (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 81D).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.