You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 482030  

Print Page



© Ms Mary Allison

IoE Number: 482030
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN AND ST WILFRID, LEWES ROAD (north side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Ms Mary Allison
Date Photographed: 27 May 2005
Date listed: 20 August 1971
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3105SE LEWES ROAD 577-1/28/383 (North West side) 20/08/71 Church of St Martin and St Wilfrid (Formerly Listed as: LEWES ROAD St Martin's Church) II* Anglican church. 1872-5. By George Somers Clarke Junior, for the 3 sons of the Reverend Henry Wagner in memory of their father. Yellow brick in English bond with dressings of red brick, stone and terracotta; roof of tiles. Chancel and nave under a single roof, north and south aisles, south-west porch, bellcote (all directions ritual). EXTERIOR: all windows pointed-arched with hoodmoulds. Plinth with terracotta offset, and cornices of red brick throughout, that over clerestory with dentil work. East window of 5 lights with Y-tracery in stone; corner buttresses with several offsets terminating in octagonal pinnacles of red brick with stone finials; south-east side chapel flanking the choir and first bay of the sanctuary, with a rounded stair turret at its ritual western end having bands of red brick to the upper stages, small windows with trefoil tracery in terracotta, and rounded hipped roof; 2 pairs of lancets with one additional lancet; the lean-to roof of the side chapel continues over the south aisle which is blank apart from a pointed-arched entrance with chamfered sub-order; clerestory to nave and chancel, 16 windows, being chamfered and sub-ordered lancets with the hoodmoulds linked to form a string course; red brick bands at sill and springing level. Gabled porch with side buttresses, elaborately sub-ordered arch framing a pair of pointed-arched entrances set back, the inner order of stone; corbelled terracotta panel of St Martin and the Beggar, modelled in high relief, in the tympanum. The gabled west end has 5 closely-spaced lancets, the central one slightly wider, with a 5-light composition of stepped lancets over, the whole flanked by setback buttresses with several offsets terminating in pinnacles as at the east end. The north aisle is like the south, with a sub-ordered west entrance. 1914-18 war memorial at west end in the form of a gabled crucifix over an inscribed Portland stone panel in the form of a retable. INTERIOR: walls of brick, plastered, with dressings of brick and stone. The fittings appear to have been designed by Somers Clarke, unless stated otherwise. Some fittings and memorials in the church reflect the fact that it was the garrison church for Preston Barracks nearby. Large wooden and gilded reredos to full width of the chancel: piers of saints in niches and painted panels depicting the ancient and modern church, with much pinnaclework to the top. Designed c1875, made by JE Knox of Lambeth, the figures modelled by Josef Mayer of Oberammergau and the paintings by H Ellis Wooldridge. A pair of deep, sub-ordered arches either side of the chancel in the second bay, with galleries over, that to the south for a military band and to the north for the Hill organ; deep clerestory arcade with passage aisles except where occupied by the organ; brick vaulted roof with stone ribs, with brick sub-ordered arches between sanctuary and choir and between chancel and nave; low wall between chancel and nave of sandstone with marble coping and wrought-iron gates, a memorial of military campaigns in Egypt, c1885; rood beam c1875 with figures of slightly later date. Buttresses roughly at the crossing reflect plans for a saddleback tower. The nave arcade consists of octagonal stone columns with roll-moulded capitals and pointed, sub-ordered brick arches; clerestory in the form of pointed arches with passage aisles, but shallower than in the chancel; corbels shafts over each column of the arcade. Wooden wagon roof in panels, painted with the coats of arms of British and American bishops. Both aisles under lean-to roofs. Octagonal pulpit of 1881, designed by Somers Clarke Jr., paid for by Henry Wagner, made by JE Knox of Lambeth apart from the side panels, carved by Trollope and Sons; oak on a plinth of Sussex marble, the whole carried on an ogee arcade, the side panels carved with New Testament scenes; sounding board with brattishing and high openwork spire of 3 stages above. Octagonal font of grey marble, the bowl carried on clustered columns; the font cover is part of an elaborate canopy on 4 columns, in the manner of St Peter Mancroft. Reredos in south-east chapel of mixed Baroque and Gothic design. War memorial in first bay of south aisle has a lower, panelled section in memory of those who fell in the First World War, and above that a panel of c1882 commemorating the Egyptian campaigns, designed by Somers Clarke Jr and exec by Simpson and Co for the tiles, Lynn and Sons of Brighton for the panelling and woodwork, and JE Knox of Lambeth for the carving. Memorial tablets either side of the chancel to Henry Michell Wagner, Arthur Wagner and Henry Wagner. Stained glass: east window of 1874 designed by HE Wooldridge and made by Powell and Co; small window in south-east chapel and another at west end of south aisle, 1875, designed by Henry Holiday and made by Powell and Co; the clerestory windows on the south side of the chancel commemorate the 4 other Brighton churches built by Arthur Wagner. Low boundary walls to west and south of flint and cobbles with dressings and coping of red brick; brick gate piers to centre of south wall rebuilt. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Pevsner N & Nairn I: The Buildings of England: Sussex: Harmondsworth: 1965-; Information from Fr Beaumont Brandie, parish priest; Builder: 3 Sept 1881, 3 July 1882).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.