You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 482049  

Print Page



©  Robert E Priest LRPS

IoE Number: 482049
Location: PATCHAM PLACE, LONDON ROAD (south west side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Robert E Priest LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 July 2000
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3008NW LONDON ROAD, Patcham 577-1/16/1009 (South West side) 13/10/52 Patcham Place GV II* Mansion. An earlier and smaller house, possibly mid-C16 in date, appears to have been altered in the late C17 and then enlarged and refronted c1814-20. Brick and flint (visible behind the fire escape on the south-west side, and also to be found on 3 walls of the light-well), black mathematical tiles to the north-west and north-east fronts, and stucco to the rest; roofs of slate and tiles. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 7 windows to the north-west, 11 to the north-east. Quoins, probably of artificial stone, to the tiled fronts in the form of rusticated piers; the entrance forms part of a slightly projecting centrepiece on the north-west front: segmental-arched entrance with doorcase of engaged Tuscan columns, entablature and open pediment with dentil cornice, panelled reveals, decorative glazing to fanlight and panelled door of original design; all windows flat-arched with plain stucco architraves, keystones and 6/6 sashes of original design; modillion cornice, the centrepiece having a pediment with keyed oculus. The north-east front has 10 windows with canted bays to either end, and window details as for the entrance front; modillion cornice continues; stacks to ridge. South-east front is stuccoed and has scattered fenestration; where sashes survive they are original, roof of tiles; south-west front also stuccoed with scattered fenestration. INTERIOR: entrance hall has architraves to windows and to doors in side walls, dado rail, dentil cornice, and fireplace with eared surround and corniced mantelshelf; there is an elliptical arch with pilasters and fluted archivolt leading to the staircase hall which has an open stair with curtail step, wreathed and ramped rail, open string with later ornament introduced, and stick balusters; Palladian window to half- landing with panelled reveals and intersecting glazing bars; doors to landing have original architraves, panelled reveals and panelled doors. The north room on the ground floor has an elaborate chimneypiece, probably of a date before 1874, consisting of panelled pilasters, entablature with egg-and-dart and acanthus ornament to cornice, lugged architrave to fire surround with bracketed shelf above and panelled overmantel surrounded by garlands; in this room also, panelled dado, dentil cornice and panelled shutters to window embrasures. There is a third fireplace in the north-west room on the ground floor which is of similar quality to those in the entrance hall and north room, but boarded up at the moment. HISTORICAL NOTE: Anthony Stapley, who lived at Patcham Place from c1620-1655 was a leading Puritan and Parliamentarian in the area; he was one of the 59 MPs who signed Charles I's death warrant. (Oldfield E: The people who lived at Patcham Place (pamphlet): Brighton).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.