You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 482314  

Print Page



© Mr Walter Chinn

IoE Number: 482314
Location: MORETON HALL AND ATTACHED TERRACE AND GARDEN AND BALUSTRADING AND STEPS, VILLAGE STREET (OFF) (west side)
  MORETON MORRELL, STRATFORD ON AVON, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Walter Chinn
Date Photographed: 04 August 2001
Date listed: 18 July 1994
Date of last amendment: 18 July 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MORETON MORRELL SP3055 VILLAGE STREET, Moreton Morrell 1901-1/11/146 (West side (off)) 18/07/94 Moreton Hall and attached terrace garden, balustrading and steps II Country house, now college. c1906. By WH Romaine-Walker. For Charles Garland. Ashlar; slate roof with ashlar stacks. Neo William and Mary style. Double-depth plan with cross wings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement and attic; symmetrical 8-window range with 2-window wings. Channelled rustication to basement; top cornice and balustraded parapet to mansard roof; wings have pedimented attic storeys. Entrance up steps has eared architrave with enriched frieze above, in Corinthian aedicule with cartouche in swan-neck pediment; paired doors with enriched bronze screens; steps have balustraded handrails with bronze lamp standards with globe shades. Basement has segmental-headed windows with triple keys to architraves and small-paned sashes. Ground floor has windows with sills, architraves, pulvinated friezes and cornices to 18-pane sashes; those to first floor have 4-sided architraves to 9-pane sashes; all with horned sashes and blind boxes. Attic has flat-roofed dormers with cornices over 16-pane sashes; wings have windows with architraves to 16-pane sashes. Pediments have richly carved cartouches. Enriched lead rainwater heads and downspouts. Returns similar, with balustraded parapets, left return has balustraded walls to basement area; 2-window ground-floor projection over loggia. Rear similar to front, but wings have projecting balustraded basements with steps to front and Venetian windows to rooms rising through ground and first floors. Terrace garden has balustrading and steps to all sides. INTERIOR: recorded as having great hall with plastered barrel-vaulted ceiling in Edwardian Baroque manner to one wing; dining room and library to other wing. HISTORY: Charles Garland was also responsible for the building of the real tennis court (qv). WH Romaine-Walker also designed Moreton Paddox (demolished) for Garland's brother-in-law, Robert Emmett, in the same parish a mile or two to the east. Now Warwickshire College of Agriculture. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A: Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 358; Warwickshire Local History Society Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 54-6, 66).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.