You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 482351  

Print Page



©  Helmut Schulenburg

IoE Number: 482351
Location: WALTON HALL INCLUDING GAME LARDER,
  WELLESBOURNE, STRATFORD ON AVON, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: Helmut Schulenburg
Date Photographed: 23 May 2007
Date listed: 02 August 1972
Date of last amendment: 19 August 1999
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WELLESBOURNE SP25SE WALTON 1901-1/5/186 Walton Hall including game larder 02/08/72 (Formerly Listed as: WALTON Walton Hall) GV II* Country house. 1858-62. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. For Sir Charles Mordaunt, 10th Baronet. Limestone ashlar with flush dressings of different type; slate roofs with ashlar ridge and end stacks. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: L-plan: main range with quadrangular service range attached to north-east angle tower. Main range: 3 storeys; l0-window range including 3-window full-height projection to right end and 5-stage angle tower to left adjoining projecting 2-storey service ranges round courtyard; 6-window front range with 3-storey pavilion to right end. EXTERIOR: string courses and top modillioned cornices with arcaded parapets. Entrance has porch with cusped round arch on polished granite shafts with foliate capitals; top cornice and parapet; paired faceted-panelled doors. Ground- and first-floor windows with leaf-trail to moulded openings. 2 tall pointed cross-mullioned stair windows with rosettes to tympana to left of entrance and similar straight-headed stair window to left end. Other windows with moulded cross-casements; ground-floor right has 3 windows including central canted bay window with parapet; first floor has 3 segmental-pointed 2-light windows above entrance and 3 to right end as to ground floor; second floor has simpler windows, with 2-light stair window to left end. 5-stage tower has cross-casement windows, segmental-headed to second stage, and paired 2-light windows with tympana to top stage; corbelled parapet and pavilion roof with wrought-iron cresting. Right return has conservatory with shouldered lintels to cross-casements and some inserted doors; domical roof. Left return, behind service range, has 2-storey wing with canted end. Garden front 5-window range with gabled forward break to left, cross-wing to right end and 3-window range set back to left end. 7-bay loggia with columns with foliate capitals to cusped segmental arches, foliate corbels to arcaded balustrade. Windows mostly have original cross-casements, with some inserted C20 doors to ground floor, which has windows with shouldered lintels, and canted bay to cross-wing; first floor has windows with leaf trail to openings and shafts. 2-storey; 4-window service range adjacent to entrance front has single- and 2-light windows; 3-storey pavilion has 2 straight-headed windows with paired trefoil-headed lights to first floor, windows with cross-casements to second floor, and ground-floor projection with transomed window of 3 lights with shouldered lintels to return; parapet and pyramidal roof with pierced iron panels to lantern. North range has entrance with gabled flat porch and single-chamfered cross-mullioned windows, some of 3 lights. East range has low gable to left end and gable to right end; segmental-pointed courtyard gateway with hood and flanking offset buttresses; projecting first-floor stack to right gable; single-chamfered mullioned and cross-mullioned windows, and one C20 triangular roof dormer; clock-turret. Courtyard has single-storey south range; mostly single-chamfered mullioned windows with decorative iron glazing bars and C20 dormers; 2 re-entrant stair projections. Free-standing square structure, formerly meat and game larders, to centre, with hipped graduated slate roof with triangular dormers. South side has paired entrances with shouldered lintels up steps, cross-mullioned window to each return, and rear steps to basement entrance. INTERIOR: entrance hall has 3-bay cusped round-arched arcade on coloured marble columns with arms to capitals to 2 sides, that to stair hall has upper arcade with segmental-pointed arches; gallery to one side has arcade of segmental arches and trefoil-arcaded balustrade; floor has inlaid flower motifs; coffered timber ceiling; large richly carved fireplace has red columns and corbels with figures of fisher and hunter; brass and iron grate and 2 brass lamps to cornice; entrance has paired half-glazed doors with tracery, other doors with enriched cornices. Stair hall has similar details, the open-well cantilevered stair has string with Tudor flower and enriched iron balusters; 3-bay landing gallery. FITTINGS: each hall has brass chandelier and armorial stained glass. Other rooms retain enriched cornices and stone or marble fireplaces. Dining room has fireplace similar to hall, with figures of Summer and Winter. Ballroom comprising 3 rooms opened into one in C20 has 2 marble fireplaces and large paired doors to each end. 2 rooms to one end, formerly library and billiard room, have early C19 marble fireplaces with Classical details, the billiard room with stained-glass armorial panel. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 440; Warwickshire Local History Society Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 34-7).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.