You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 482395  

Print Page



©  Helmut Schulenburg

IoE Number: 482395
Location: WELLESBOURNE MILL AND MILL HOUSE, KINETON ROAD (OFF) (west side)
  WELLESBOURNE, STRATFORD ON AVON, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: Helmut Schulenburg
Date Photographed: 02 September 2005
Date listed: 20 April 1988
Date of last amendment: 19 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WELLESBOURNE SP25SE KINETON ROAD, Wellesbourne 1901-1/5/180 (West side (off)) 20/04/88 Wellesbourne Mill and Mill House (Formerly Listed as: B 4086 (West side) Wellesbourne Mill and Millhouse) GV II Watermill and attached mill house. Mid to late C18 house and mill dated 1834. Brick in English bond (mill) and Flemish stretcher bond (house); gabled plain-tile roofs with brick ridge and end stacks. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, most with attic; 3 ranges: the mill the tallest to left, the other 2 descending. South-west front of mill has top dentilled cornice and segmental-headed openings; casements with iron opening casements; entrance to far right has wide pegged frame to paired plank doors; 2 windows to left, one with shutter and one with 2-light leaded casement; first floor has blind opening; 2-storey lean-to in re-entrant angle to right return has 3-light casement over single light; gable has 2 small single-light windows. Left return (south-east front) has entrance with plank door to wheel chamber; single window to first and attic floors have 2-light casements; gable has date: 1834 in blue headers, with similar diamond above. Rear (north-east) has entrance up steps with plank door. 2 windows: one with small-paned casement and projecting shaft with wooden wheel, one with shutter; window with 3-light leaded casement to first floor. South-west front of house has 2 ranges each of 2 windows, that to left of 2 storeys with attic, that to right of 2 storeys. Top dentil brick cornice. Range to left has 2 end stacks; entrance with plank door and lean-to re-entrant porch to left end; segmental-headed windows with 3- or 4-light leaded casements; 2 gabled dormers with 2-light casements. Range to right has segmental-headed openings; entrance to each end, one with half-glazed door; windows to ground floor have 2- and 3-light small-paned casements with iron opening casements, those to first floor similar, but with leaded glazing. Rear (north-west) has wing with segmental-headed window with small-paned casement to each floor; to right a window with a 6/6 sash and casement window over; tall narrow outshut to left. INTERIOR: house: open fireplace, chamfered spine beams and stone flags to most ground-floor rooms; winding stair separated from room by panelling. Mill: trenched double-purlin roof with clasped principals; chamfered spine beams; wood and cast-iron low breast wheel; gear wheels of wood and iron; 2 pairs of stones; automatic hoist, chutes and bins. A very complete example of a mill and mill house.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.