You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 483314  

Print Page

©  John Boothroyd ARPS

IoE Number: 483314
Location: WELLS MUSEUM, CATHEDRAL GREEN (north side)
Photographer: John Boothroyd ARPS
Date Photographed: 30 April 2001
Date listed: 12 November 1953
Date of last amendment: 12 November 1953
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WELLS ST5445 CATHEDRAL GREEN 662-1/7/41 (North side) 12/11/53 Wells Museum GV II Former Chancellors' House, now museum. C15 origins, but mostly C17, C18 and C19 work, much of the front being remodelled c1828. Rendered with stone dressings, Welsh slate roofs with shaped stone ridges between coped gables, rendered and stone chimney stacks. PLAN: U-plan, possibly began as a hall house, with service wing to the left, and parlour to the right, but now with 2-storey centre having a broad entrance hall backed by a generous lateral staircase, and the wings substantially remodelled or rebuilt. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics at ends; south facade has 3 bays between projecting wings, with porch in SW corner. Plinth, moulded strings and copings to gables, which have console kneeler brackets. West end gable has large angled bay window to ground floor with stepped hipped lead roof, and with lancet-panelled frieze under window, having 8-pane sash windows with 4-centre arched heads to each face, first floor has a small single-light window, east gable similar but with a single matching 8-pane sash window to ground floor, set under a label, again with frieze under sill. Central bays have pairs of 12-pane sash windows in plain architraves, linked to bays 1 and 2 and separate in bay 3; first floor has Venetian windows to match of 8 + 12 + 8 panes with radial glazing to centre units; left of bay 1 the porch, single storey, with matching gable and 4-centre-arched doorway with pair early C19 doors, small single-light window with square label over. In the west flank of the east projecting wing is a 4-light chamfer-mullioned window with early glazing at low level, with a similar blocked window near the outer corner. INTERIOR: the low-ceilinged entrance hall opens to a generous staircase hall with wide early C19 lateral stair having stick balustrade and swept mahogany handrail, and scrolled ends to open treads; the rear wall has a fine Palladian window with linings, and there is a coved cornice. The suite at first floor, left, has a grand front salon completed in Gothic Revival style with slightly bowed ends, panelled doors and linings, a coved cornice with continuous inset frieze of formalised leaves, and a marble fireplace in the W wall. The ante-room is similarly detailed, and has, in the W wall, a large 12-pane sash plus side-lights, intersecting Y-bars and some tinted glass, and with original shutters. Sections of deeply-chamfered beams to rear. C17 roof trusses using earlier material.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.