You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 483346  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 483346
Location: CEDARS COTTAGE AND FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE AND ALLIED BUILDINGS AROUND, COLLEGE ROAD (east side)
  WELLS, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 12 November 1953
Date of last amendment: 31 May 2000
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WELLS ST5446 COLLEGE ROAD 662-1/6/73 (East side) 12/11/53 Cedars Cottage and former stables, coach house and allied buildings around (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE ROAD Stables belonging to No.15) GV II Coachman's house, stables, coach house and allied ancillary buildings to The Cedars (qv), now all part of Wells Cathedral School. Mid/late C18, after 1756. Red brick in Flemish bond, with Doulting ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roofs between coped gables, stone chimney stacks. PLAN: 2 storeys throughout, around a courtyard, in a near symmetrical layout, with principal range on east side, Cedars Cottage and another building on north side, with similar buildings on south side, the cottage now the Bursar's office, and with gateway on west side, the courtyard being paved with lias setts. EXTERIOR: east range has 8 bays, of which the two centre bays project and have pedimented gable, plinth, cruciform leaded casement windows with segmental arches to lower bays 1, 2, 7 and 8, smaller segmental-arched doorways with plain stone architraves, converted to windows, bays 3 and 6, and similar but larger doorways to bays 5 and 6, first floor has 2-light leaded casement windows to bays 1, 3, 6 and 8, not aligned with lower windows, and a circular window between bays 4 and 5. Pump with stone trough between bays 4 and 5, clock in pediment. In the centre of the roof a tower with pyramidal lead roof with windvane. To the W are two matching 5-bay buildings, that on N side linked to the east block by a tall stone wall, part of courtyard enclosure, each building has plinth, central doorways with segmental-arched stone architraves to C20 doors, lower windows are cruciform casements, and first floor has 2-light casements, all rectangular-leaded and all set under segmental arches. Matching doorways in the east gables, and north building has in addition a C20 fire escape from first floor. After linking wall on north side and single storey wing on south side are the Cedars Cottage and Bursars office on north and south sides respectively. Cedars Cottage of 2+2 bays, the east bays shorter span and set back-these apparently single storey, then heightened in early C19. Cruciform leaded casement windows, with segmental arches to lower windows C20 door between eastern bays with brick and slate porch. Bursar's office has similar but reversed facade, with cruciform casements to first floor, east bay 1 has a 2-light leaded casement window in a former doorway, and bay 2 a segmental arched doorway with boarded door on a heavy frame, with small single-light window to right, the 2 west bays have early C20 garage doors. West gateway marked by tall ashlar gate piers with plinths and moulded pyramidal caps, and concave quarter-circle sweeps of 3m tall random stone walling with pitched ashlar copings, pierced on the north side by two gateways, and continued about 1m northwards and about 20m southwards, ending with small boarded door in plain opening, all adding to both the setting of the buildings and the streetscape generally. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the site occupied by this courtyard was transferred from the ownership of the Vicars Choral to the owner of the Cedars (qv) in 1756.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.