You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 483450  

Print Page

©  John Boothroyd ARPS

IoE Number: 483450
Photographer: John Boothroyd ARPS
Date Photographed: 24 May 2001
Date listed: 12 November 1953
Date of last amendment: 12 November 1953
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WELLS ST5445 NEW STREET 662-1/7/168 (East side) 12/11/53 No.2 Mullins, and attached boundary wall GV II House at junction with The Liberty, now part of Wells Cathedral School. Mid to late C18. Doulting ashlar stonework, Welsh slate mansard roof between ogee curved coped gables, end chimney stacks, the north rendered and the south in buff brick. PLAN: symmetrical double-depth plan with narrow entrance hall and rear open well staircase. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics and basement, 4 bays. Plinth, cornice, plain parapet, 12-pane sash windows in moulded architraves, doorway to lower bay 2, a Regency pattern door with plain transom-light, on 5 concrete steps. The jambs are plain, replacing a former moulded architrave, which remains to the head only, moulded pediment on console brackets. Behind parapet are 4 hipped-roof dormers with 9-pane sash windows. Single-storey rendered extension with parapet against north gable, with two segmental-arched 12-pane sash windows, escape doorway and stairs from attic level. South gable rendered and plain. The rear elevation also rendered, basically 4-bay, with only 3 dormers, a staircase window to bay 3 is semicircular arched, with a part-glazed door with segmental arched head under. The window to lower bay 4 is doubled. To the right an external flight of stone steps to the basement. INTERIOR: partly inspected. The main entrance doorway, now blocked opens to a long narrow hall with modillion cornice, through a panelled arch to the staircase, with turned-on-square balusters, Doric newels, and scrolled open string. The stair rises through both floors; at the first floor landing is a further arch as below, and a modillion cornice. There are various original 6-panel doors, and one first-floor room has a white marble fireplace. The basement has broad segmental brick vaults, and there is a 2-light flush stone-mullioned casement in the rear wall. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: extending from SE corner along The Liberty is a random stone boundary wall about 2m high, with raked top and brick capping, and swept drops to access towards end, likewise the wall extends northwards along New Street, with plain door and then square ashlar gate piers with wooden gates, both walls important in the streetscape at this very important corner site in the city.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.