You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 483584  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 483584
Location: RITCHIE HALL, 5 THE LIBERTY (north side)
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 12 November 1953
Date of last amendment: 31 May 2000
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WELLS ST5446 THE LIBERTY 662-1/6/301 (North side) 12/11/53 No.5 Ritchie Hall (Formerly Listed as: THE LIBERTY (North side) No.5 (Formerly listed as Cathedral Grammar School, North Liberty)) GV II* Part of the Wells Cathedral School. 1884, but incorporating fragments of a C12 Canon's Barn. Local stone roughly squared and coursed, with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roofs with terracotta ridge, coped gables. EXTERIOR: single and 2-storey, in a C15 style, 4 bays. Bay 1 is a projecting hall, with 5-light mullioned and transomd window with hoodmould over, bays 2 and 4, set back, have similar windows. Bay 3 is a deep projecting 2-storey porch, with plinth, parapet string and crenellation; the first floor has two 2-light C15-style traceried windows, and below is the entrance doorway with a moulded arch with label. Above the door a flush stone plaque is inscribed: "SCHOLA/CATHEDRALIS/MDCCCLXXXIV". INTERIOR: in the rear part of the building are 6 square piers with slightly rounded corners, to square chamfered abaci, and on double offset chamfered bases, carrying a heavy square aisle-plate. According to Pevsner documents refer to the Canon's Barn in Bishop Reginald's time, c1175-90, and if these are fragments from that time, they are the earliest secular fabric remaining in the city, and hence of considerable historic interest. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.