You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 483587  

Print Page



©  John Boothroyd ARPS

IoE Number: 483587
Location: 11 THE LIBERTY (north side)
  WELLS, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: John Boothroyd ARPS
Date Photographed: 04 May 2001
Date listed: 12 November 1953
Date of last amendment: 12 November 1953
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WELLS ST5446 THE LIBERTY 662-1/6/304 (North side) 12/11/53 No.11 GV II Former Canonical house, now part of Wells Cathedral Junior School. Early to mid C18, extension 1879. Random coursed local stone rubble with Doulting ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof behind tall parapets, ashlar chimney stacks. A symmetrical double-depth plan with central staircase hall; the C19 extension includes a new sitting-room and cottage. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement, 3 wide bays, the outer ones full-height shallow canted bays with windows to each facet. Parapet band and plain parapet. All windows 12-pane sashes in moulded stone architraves with keystones. Entrance in centre has a 6-panel door with an 8-pane sash as a sidelight each side, all arranged as a Venetian opening with Doric pilasters, entablature over window, and semicircular radially-glazed fanlight with hood over door. Extensions to rear, left. INTERIOR: the stone-flagged hall has contemporary dado panelling, with a triple-arched screen with architraves, keystones and imposts, through to staircase with 3 turned balusters to each tread. Ground-floor left has a wide blocked elliptical arch to recess, and room to right includes a wide pair of doors with fielded panels. One upper room has a fireplace with eared architrave. The basement has wide segmental groined vaults in rough-set stonework. HISTORICAL NOTE: the property is first recorded in 1375; in 1660 William Busby, later headmaster of Westminster School, was in occupation. In 1969 the property was leased to the Cathedral School. (Bailey S: Canonical Houses of Wells: Gloucester: 1982-: 28 TO 40).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.