You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 484755  

Print Page



© Mr Hubert Smith

IoE Number: 484755
Location: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH GREEN
  SOUTHWOLD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Hubert Smith
Date Photographed: 28 August 2007
Date listed: 21 April 1949
Date of last amendment: 30 March 2000
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTHWOLD TM5076 CHURCH GREEN 588-1/7/11 Church of St Edmund 21/04/49 (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH GREEN Church of St Edmund including Chapel of St Edmund) GV I Church. c1430-70. Roofs restored 1857 by EL Blackburne and 1866-7 by RM Phipson; chancel restored 1885. Parclose screens, 1885, by AE Street. Statue of St Edmund, 1989, by Andrew Swinley. Flint with ashlar dressings. Copper roofs. EXTERIOR. west tower; nave and chancel continuous, with clerestory to both and lantern fleche to nave; east end aisle chapels; south porch. 4-stage tower supported by flushwork diagonal buttresses and with parapet of quatrefoil flushwork detail. Arcaded flushwork base panelling. Arched west door with frieze of 4 arched and cusped flushwork panels right and left, and a frieze of shields above. 3-light Perpendicular west window flanked by one statuary niche either side, under canopies and set within flushwork panelling. Arch of window with flushwork lettering: SCT EDMUND ORA P NOBIS. Broad frieze of chequer flushwork above. Ringing chamber with one 2-light Perpendicular window to each face except east. Twin 2-light Perpendicular belfry openings. 2-storey south porch with polygonal stair turret to north-west. East and west walls with chequer flushwork, each pierced by one 2-light Perpendicular window under a 4-centred hoodmould. Diagonal south buttresses with flushwork. Moulded entrance arch with shields and leaf trail carving in spandrels, and a border of flushwork arcading in 3 tiers. Geometric flushwork frieze above. First floor lit through two 2-light Perpendicular windows set within flushwork arcading and separated by canopied niche containing statue of St Edmund. Panelled and traceried crenellated parapet, the design in flushwork to east and west faces. Porch interior has tierceron vault with restored foliate bosses. South door is arched, with 6 lower panels of each of the 2 leafs carved with parchment relief; 4 upper panels with parchment and heraldic relief carving. Aisles with 3-light west windows, 4-light east windows and six 3-light flanking windows, all Perp. Between windows are flushwork stepped buttresses. Arched north door and polygonal stair turret at west end of north aisle. Plain parapet to north aisle; south aisle parapet is crenellated over a corbel course of angel and grotesque heads. 18-bay clerestory articulated by shallow polygonal buttresses rising into square finial bases, each bay having 2-light window. East end buttressed diagonally: chancel has one 3-light window to north and south. 1867 east window of 4 lights above arcade of ogee headed panels in flushwork. INTERIOR: tall tower arch with multiple bowtell and casement mouldings. 7-bay nave arcade, the piers of quatrefoil section with hollows between, standing on high polygonal bases and with polygonal capitals. Roofs: continuous to nave and chancel, of alternating false hammerbeams with carved arched braces dropping to moulded wall posts on corbelheads. Arched braces rise from carved angel figures on the hammerbeams to moulded principals intersected by 2 tiers of moulded butt purlins and on to a moulded ridge piece; brattished collars. Chancel roof is panelled and painted, with fleuron bosses at intersections: west bay painted with angels carrying scrolls. Aisle roofs have principals carried on moulded arched braces, one tier of moulded butt purlins, and figurative and foliate bosses at intersections. Chancel screen, c1480, tripartite, serving aisles and central vessel, each of 3 major bays either side of arched opening: dado panels split into 2 per bay, with painted figures, restored 1930. North screen with Nine Orders of Angels; centre with Apostles, restored 1874; south with Old Testament Prophets. Painted muntins rise to arches with miniature cusping and sub-cusping. Rood beam with arcade of pierced arches. Chancel: stalls C15 with traceried front panels, misericords and animal and figurative arm rests. Benches C16. Bench sedilia to south wall has dado of shields in panels and lierne vaulting to canopies. Similar piscina, with a route tournant in dado and cruet shelves against back wall. Organ 1887. Nave: C15 octagonal font on C20 stepped plinth: font stem with niches under pairs of miniature carved ogee arches with crockets and finials. Bowl panels have wide niches under 4-centred canopies with carved lierne vaults. Tall openwork font canopy of 1935 by FE Howard. Early C16 octagonal pulpit on a tapering stem, the panels with profuse Perpendicular tracery. At angles are stepped buttresses imitating flushwork. Restored 1928 and painted. On north wall, painted hatchment of arms of George III. On north tower arch, Clock Jack, C15, in form of painted armoured figure with axe and sword. South Chapel: brass to John Bishop, d.1456, and wife, d.1473. (Bottomley A: The Church of St Edmund, Southwold: Southwold: 1991-; Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E: Buildings of England: Suffolk, 2nd Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 431-432).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.