© Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET (east side)
KEYNSHAM, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Peter Frederick Rushby LMPA
18 June 2000
27 February 1950
Date of last amendment:
27 February 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST6568 HIGH STREET
739-1/4/53 (East side)
27/02/50 Church of St John the Baptist
Anglican parish church. c1250 in origin, 1390 south aisle and
south porch, chancel rebuilt 1470, 1634-55 restoration after
after collapse of tower and storm damage, including
construction of west tower; 1863 restoration; 1951-7 roof
restored; 1962-5 outer walls restored. Coursed and squared
rubble with banded ashlar to tower, ashlar dressings and
copings, plain clay tile roof to chancel, slate roof to nave.
STYLE: Decorated and Perpendicular Gothic.
PLAN: 8-bay nave with north and south aisles, chancel, west
tower, south porch, south-east vestry.
EXTERIOR: chancel has C19 Perpendicular style 2-centre arched
east window with panelled tracery; north side has three C13
lancets, one blocked; ballflower decoration to cornice and
buttresses with set-offs. South wall of chancel has single C13
lancet. Nave north side has buttresses with set-offs and
battlemented parapet with weathered gargoyles below, polygonal
turret for rood-loft staircase; 2-light C19 Early English
Gothic style window with head stops to eastern bay, then 6
Perpendicular Gothic style pointed-arched windows with 3-light
panelled tracery; central north doorway with plain moulded
arch and plank door. 3-stage Gothic Survival style tower of
c1634 with set-back buttresses, open trefoil parapet with
blank arcading to corners surmounted by crocketed pinnacles.
Lower stage has west doorway with plain moulded arch and
2-leaf framed door, 4-light Perpendicular Gothic window above.
Second stage has 2 tiers of blind panelling with C19 cast-iron
Gothic style clock face to west; upper stage has 2-light bell
openings with Y-tracery and louvres; sundial to south face
under bell openings. South-west wall of south aisle has
5-light Perpendicular Gothic style window and blocked doorway
below. South aisle has blind parapet and 3-light Perpendicular
Gothic style windows with dripstones, polygonal turret for
rood-loft staircase; south porch has C19 openings but C14
statue niche above outer doorway and wrought-iron gates with
quatrefoils; tierceron-vault inside on recarved corbel heads;
C19 arch to church interior with 2-leaf C20 door. Small
doorway at south-east corner with C19 plank door; 5-light
Perpendicular Gothic style window to south-east wall. Chancel
has one lancet.
INTERIOR: C19 tie-beam roof to nave and similar mid C17 roofs
to aisles but with quatrefoil and lozenge panels; all roofs
supported on carved stone corbels. C19 hammer-beam roof to
chancel. North arcade of 7 bays has piers of four-waves
section; south arcade of 8 bays has octagonal piers with
hollow mouldings. Perpendicular arch to tower, C19 arch to
FITTINGS: nave has three 1717-21 brass chandeliers given by
Ann Tilly; baluster stem font with circular bowl given by
Harry Bridges in 1725 and further 1864 Perpendicular Gothic
style octagonal font with wooden spired cover; c.1655 wooden
pulpit with blind arcading and diamond-cut decoration; 1893
wooden eagle lectern. South aisle has section of mid C15
wooden rood screen which survived fall of north-east tower in
1632: 3-light divisions with panel tracery, leaf frieze,
cresting and coving for the rood decorated with suns; burial
hatchment high up on aisle wall. Chancel has further wooden
screen which replaced original, now reset between chancel and
vestry: colonnade of round-headed arches and centrepiece above
with termini pilasters and an achievement of arms to Charles
II (1665); choir stalls and altar rail of 1913. West tower has
5 benefaction/charity boards on south wall.
MEMORIALS: wall memorials to north and south aisles, mostly
C18 and C19, with one of 1659 to Joane Flower (of the Flowers
of Saltford Manor, qv). Chancel north wall monument to Sir
Henry Bridges, died 1587: recumbent effigy on tomb chest with
caryatids, arched top on pillars, coats of arms on the back
wall and small allegorical figures on the tops of the arches;
south wall has monument to Sir Thomas Bridges, died 1661:
hanging triptych with kneeling figure of Sir Thomas in centre,
angels to the sides. The three parts are emphasised by 4
twisted columns which carry open segmental pediments and an
apse vault over the centre with carved clouds and angels.
Further C17 and C18 wall memorials to the Bridges family.
STAINED GLASS: some C19 stained glass including tower window
(1869); south aisle west window (1860); north aisle window in
last bay to east (1876) and north aisle west window (1902);
chancel north and east windows of 1961.
HISTORICAL NOTE: west tower south wall has a copy of the
'Brief' of Charles I enabling the church to solicit help from
other parishes after the fall of the north-east tower in 1632.
The monument to Sir Thomas Bridges is similar in style to that
at Rodney Stoke, Somerset to Sir Edward Rodney (died 1657);
Sir Thomas's mother was a Rodney.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 210-212).