You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 485694  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 485694
Location: ENGINE SHED, GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY HERITAGE CENTRE, STATION ROAD
  DIDCOT, SOUTH OXFORDSHIRE, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 05 October 2000
Date of last amendment: 05 October 2000
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DIDCOTSU5290STATION ROAD1703/12/10002Engine shed, Great Western Railway Her05-OCT-00itage Centre

DIDCOT SU5290 STATION ROAD 1703/12/10002 ENGINE SHED, GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY HER 05-OCT-00 ITAGE CENTRE GV II DIDCOT SU5290 STATION ROAD 1703/12/10002 Engine shed, Great Western Railway 05-OCT-00 Heritage Centre II Railway engine shed. 1931 for the Great Western Railway. Brown brick, asbestos sheet and steel. Rectangular plan four-road engine shed 64.0m by 20.4m to accommodate some sixteen locomotives. Steel frame with brown brick lower walls and a corrugated asbestos sheet cladding to eastern upper wall. Corrugated iron roof cladding, which is not original, over timber boards. Two gable north and south entrances with three pairs and four pairs of hinged timber doors respectively. Two roads in each gable with inspection pits outside the south entrance of the shed and an iron water crane central to each pair of roads about 30m outside the shed. The gables are clad in sheeting. The lower east wall is plain brick, the upper wall is clad in sheeting with twenty-one steel-framed windows. The west wall is plain brick and is abutted by a range of plain brick lean-to offices and workshops accessed individually from the engine shed with seventeen steel frame and three timber sash windows with reinforced concrete heads and cills under a timber boarded and slated roof. The westernmost road through the engine shed connects with the adjoining 1931 repair/lifting shop (qv). The roof is part glazed, with walkways and tall exhaust vents. Interior: has an open light steel truss roof with smoke catchers over the roads. Inspection pits through length of roads. The oil store has an original range of oil tanks. History: Didcot engine shed forms part of a depot for the stabling, servicing and day-to-day mechanical repair of steam locomotives. It was built as one of the government funded improvements to the GWR in the 1930s under the Development (Loans, Guarantees and Grants Act (1929), which was designed to provide employment in the Depression. It has been little altered and is now the only medium sized steam running shed in England still in use for its original purpose. The shed was closed by British Rail in June 1965 but continues in use by the Great Western Society. References: Paul Bolger, BR Steam Motive Power Depots WR, Ian Allan, 1983, p 14. Adrian Vaughan, A Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture, OPC, 1977, pl 467 for drawing of GWR standard running shed 1932, and pl 475 for standard water column. Chris Hawkins and George Reeve, Great Western railway London Division Engine Sheds, Wild Swan Publications, 1987, pp 278-290. E T Lyons, An Historical Survey of Great Western Engine Sheds 1947, Oxford Publishing Company, 1972, p 19 and p 70. Information from Michael Dean, Chief Executive, Great Western Society.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.