You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 486696  

Print Page



© Miss Esther Harbour

IoE Number: 486696
Location: BRIGHTON AND HOVE HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS (THE TEMPLE), DENMARK TERRACE (west side)
  BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Miss Esther Harbour
Date Photographed: 13 September 2005
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 26 August 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIGHTON TQ3004NW DENMARK TERRACE 577-1/31/182 (West side) 13/10/52 Brighton and Hove High School for Girls (The Temple) (Formerly Listed as: MONTPELIER ROAD (West side) The Temple (Brighton and Hove High School for Girls)) II House, now school. 1819. Probably by Amon Wilds, for Thomas Read Kemp. Originally it was square in plan with 5 bays on each side, and 2-storeyed with the domed upper storey set well back on all sides. It became a boys' school in 1828; the present first floor on the original building dates from before 1876; the wing to the south-west corner was added, as the inscription records, for the Girls Public Day School Company in 1891, and further alterations were made in 1911-12; the additions of these and other dates mean that only the east and north sides of the building retain the original ground-floor treatment of 5 arcaded bays. Stucco, roof of Welsh slate. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over basement with dormers in mansard roof; 8-window range to east front. Entrance in central bay of east front, probably of c1900: flat-arched with bracketed canopy; flat-arched windows to ground floor set back under a round-arched arcade with paired engaged columns which taper downwards and have Egyptian bud capitals of exaggerated form; recessed panels to the spandrels; cornice; first-floor windows flat-arched; cornice; stepped parapet; 3 large dormers in mansard roof with alternating triangular and segmental pediments; the north and south returns are detailed in much the same way, except that the linked dormers have only triangular pediments, and the 1891 addition occupies the westernmost bay of the south front: this wing has flat-arched windows set back under a round arch to the ground floor and staircase, moulded storey band, flat-arched first-floor windows, cornice and corner stacks; pediment to west and north fronts. The west front of the main block much altered with a single-storey extension of c1900 and side-stack at north-west corner with scrolled consoles and cornice. INTERIOR: the interior has a pair of cast-iron columns with scalloped abaci in the hall at the south-east corner of the building. HISTORICAL NOTE: it is supposed to have been built on the exact measurement's of Solomon's Temple and so is called "The Temple". (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.