© Mr Tony Wilding
ALMONRY, SACRISTS HALL, GATE AND GOLDSMITHS TOWER, HIGH STREET (south side)
ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Mr Tony Wilding
25 September 2007
23 September 1950
Date of last amendment:
23 September 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TL 5480 1/88 23.9.50.
The Almonry stands at the east end of the long range of buildings which
back on to the High Street on the north side, including the sacristy, Gate
and Goldsmith's Tower. The space between the/Almonry and the Sacristy -
to the west of it was filled in during th C19 in similar style. The Almonry
is a late Cl2 building of Carr Stone rubble with Barnack stone dressings. It is
built above a vaulted undercroft of circa 1200, with ribs springing from central
octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. The upper storey originally
contained a school, chambers for the Sacrist and Chaplian, dormitories and
a chapel at the east end. 2 blocked lancet windows survive in the gable
end, The poor were fed in the undercroft. The north front has C19 or C20
windows on the lst storey and small, stone dressed windows with cusped arches
on the ground storey. The south front has similar windows, some with 2
lights. Roof tiled, with C19 gabled dormers and C19 moulded brick shafted
The Almonry, Wall to the gardens of the Almonry and Painted Chamber, the
Sacristy Gate and Goldsmith's Tower form a group with all the listed buildings
in High Street except No 2.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.