You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 48695  

Print Page



© Mr Alan Francis Polaine

IoE Number: 48695
Location: GREAT HALL AND SUBSIDIARY BUILDINGS INCLUDING HEADMASTER'S HOUSE, THE COLLEGE
  ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Alan Francis Polaine
Date Photographed: 07 April 2005
Date listed: 23 September 1950
Date of last amendment: 19 June 1972
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

THE COLLEGE1082The Great Hall(Bishopts residence)(formerly listed as part of

THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 The Great Hall (Bishopts residence) (formerly listed as part of Guest Hall and subsidiary buildings including Fleadmaster's TL 5479 2/91 House) 23.9.50. GV 2. The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), is part of a block of buildings including the Queenls Hall (Headmaster's House), which adjoins on the south west. (qv). The Great Hall, or Guest Hall was built in the mid Cl3 and was remodelled in the early C14. During the Commonwealth it was subdivided into 3 storeys. It is built above a fine vaulted undercroft with ribbed vaults rising from plain columns without capitals. The hall is of 5 bays and was spanned by an open roof with arched principals and wind braces. (Some still remain). The fine stone corbels to the principals, carved in the shape of crouching figures, survive. It is built of Carr stone rubble with Barnack or similar, stone dressings and has a parapet and stringcourse and stopped end gables. The west gable has a sexfoil window, possibly of Cl 3 origin, reset. The massive central chimney stack of the hall projects on the north side, with 3 offsets and one of the original pointed arched windows survives to the east of the chimney stack. On the east end the south wall of the Monks Kitchen has survived, with a tall semi-circular arch (blocked) and triple shafted piers with scolloped capitals. North of this stands the porch and staircase which led to the Great Hall. the interior, although altered, has C13 and C14 features. The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's Palace. and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stable to Bishop's Palace), The Gallery. See also general group description under the Catherdral of The Holy Trinity.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.