No Image Available
GUEST QUARTERS OF THE MONASTERY, THE COLLEGE
ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
23 June 1950
Date of last amendment:
23 June 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1082 Guest Quarters
of tile Monastery
The guest quarters of the monastery, now part of King's School, comprises
2 ranges of buildings extending south from the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's
House) and backing on to the The Gallery 2 storeys and attics. The north
range, of 8 bays, is late Norman circa 1180 built of Carr stone rubble with
Barnack stone dressings. Originally it was probably used as a granary.
In the C14 it was considerably altered when it became the guest quarters
and an upper storey was inserted (in the northern half). The front is divided
by flat pilasters weathered on top and some with original gargoyles, The
northern part has a trefoil arched corbel table on the west side The
ground storey lids a fine vaulted undercroft with ribs springing from a central
row of octangonal pillars without capitals. On the west side the windows
on the first storey are C14 trefoil headed lancers and the undercroft is
lit by paired trefoil headed windows. A stone stringcourse runs above
the undercroft windows. The east side has C19 and C20 windows and a good
late Norman doorway with a semi-circular arch above a segmental arch and
2 orders of columns with waterleaf capitals. The south range was built
in the Cl4, shortly after the north range was completed and is divided into
5 bays by buttresses with 2 offsets and weathered at the top. It is built
of Carr stone rubble with Northamptonshire stone dressings, with a parapet,
stringcourse and a plinth. The windows are single lights with double-chamfered
reveals, cusped heads and hood moulds. The undercroft is brick vaulted.
On the east side a C14 external covered staicase wing projects at the north end.
roofs tiled, with original heavy trussed rafters carried over both ranges.
The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House),
Wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery,
Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta. Prior's House
(Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the
garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery
and wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls
to the Bishop's palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's
Palace), The Gallery.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity.