© Mr Steve Cole
BISHOP'S HOUSE (PRIORS HOUSE), THE COLLEGE
ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Mr Steve Cole
01 September 2002
23 September 1950
Date of last amendment:
19 June 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
(Boarding House of
the Kings School)
(formerly listed as Bishop's House
TL 5479 2/9 (Priors House)
The Prior's House, now a boarding house of the King's School was largely
rebuilt in the early C14 by Prior Crauden (1321-41), above the C12 vaulted
undercroft with groined vaults and transverse arches in the northern part
and C14 vaults to the south part, The hall was originally connected
to the Prior's Study (now demolished) and his private chapel by a gallery.
A wing at the north east end was originaly the porch to the Prior's Great
Hall (Old Hall) which stood to the north of it. The upper storey contained
the Audit Chamber. In the C15 a staircase wing was erected at the south east
end and in the c17 a building was added adjoining the south east corner
of the hall and extending eastwards. The hall is built mainly of Carr
stone rublle with Barnack stone dressings and a considerable amount of C14
brickwork. It has a parapet and string course and is buttresses. On the
ground storey there are C14 pointed arched windows with "Decorated" tracery
and on the 1st storey there are early C16 square windows with 3 and 4 arched
lights. Roof tiled, with arched braces to the principals and arched windbraces.
the interior has Norman and mediaeval features including a particularly
fine early C14 fireplace on the north west side of the Hall (once in Prior
Crauden's study), with a sloping overmantel, castellated frieze and corner
turrets, carried on carved corbels with heads.
The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House
Wall to the garden of the bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery,
Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House
(Boarding House of the king's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the
garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery
and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls
to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's
Palace), The Gallery.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.