You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 48701  

Print Page



© Mr Alan Francis Polaine

IoE Number: 48701
Location: BISHOP'S HOUSE (PRIOR'S HOUSE), THE COLLEGE
  ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Alan Francis Polaine
Date Photographed: 07 April 2005
Date listed: 23 September 1950
Date of last amendment: 19 June 1972
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

THE COLLEGE1082Prior Crauden's Chapel.(Formerly listed as

THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 Prior Crauden's Chapel. (Formerly listed as part of Bishop's house TL 5479 2/95 23.9.50 (Prior's House)) GV 2. Prior Crauden built his private chapel adjoining the south west corner of the hall in 1524-25. It was built over a C13 vaulted undercroft, mainly of Barnack stone ashlar, with clunch (chalk) on the carved interior. The Chapel has 2 bays, with angle buttresses and a centre buttress on the north and south fronts. The east bay has 2 pointed arched windows with "Decorated tracery and the west bay has a small window low down in the wall. The east and west gable ends have wide pointed arched windows with fine "Decorated" tracery. On the north west corner there is an octagonal entrance and staircase tower with a stone spiral staircase. The interior is richly carved and has a rare and particularly fine Cl4 mosaic tile floor - with animal and foliated designs and a panel in front of the altar depicting Adam and Eve. The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the garden fo the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse from a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's Palace), The Galery. See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.