© Mr Alan Francis Polaine
ELY PORTA, THE COLLEGE
ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Mr Alan Francis Polaine
07 April 2005
23 September 1950
Date of last amendment:
23 September 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TL 5479 2/5 25.9.50.
Ely Porta was begun in 1397 and was completed by Prior Poucher (140l-18).
It comprises a large, rectangular, 5 storey block of rag-stone with Weldon
(or similar) stone dressings. 4 square, castellated, corner turrets are
carried above the parapet level. On the north and south ends there is
the original castellated parapet and on the east and west fronts there
is a later plain brick parapet. A large central carriage way rises through
2 storeys with a wide single 4-centred arch on the east front and 2 4-centred
arches on the west front one for carriages and the other, smaller, for
pedestrians. The vaulting on the inside is incomplete. The windows on
the east and west fronts are similar in design. On each front, above the
carriageway, on the 2nd storey there is a pointed arched, 3-light, window
with curvilinear tracery lighting what was the Bishop's court room. The
flanking ranges of windows are 2-light with cusped arched heads and square
hood moulds, except on the ground storey on the north end of the west front
which has a small single light window lighting what was the Bishop's prison
and, according to prison reports, was in use as such up to the end of the
Cl7 when the prison was moved to Lynn Road, The 2nd storey on the west
front has 4 canopied niches. String courses run between the storeys and
beneath the parapet. Roof tiled, hipped, a later replacement of the original
flat leaded roof.
The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House),
Wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery,
Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House
(Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the
garden of the Prior's house, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery
and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls
to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's
Palace), The Gallery.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.