No Image Available
THE DARK CLOISTER, THE COLLEGE
ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
23 September 1950
Date of last amendment:
19 June 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The Dark Cloister
(Formerly listed as part of
remains of Infirmary includin
TL 5479 2/97 25.9.50.
A mid C13 vaulted passage originally connecting the Dormitory with the
Infirmary, with a storey above which probably contained a school. All
that now remains is the south wall of the vaulted passage and a short length
of the upper storey with a window jamb at the east end. There are 5 deeply
recessed pointed arches with moulded corbels for the springing of the vault
on the north side. The West bay has a Cl3 doorway and the east bay has
a laer doorway. The centre 3 bays, on the south side, have C13 arcaded
windows (blocked) set within a flat arch, with a quatrefoil window in the
The Dark Cloister, Powcher's Hall, the Painted Chamber (Walsingham House),
the Chapel of the infirmary (Deanery), the Black Hostelry and Cellarers
Chamber and Cellarers House (Boarding House of King's School) form a group.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.