No Image Available
THE PAINTED CHAMBER (WALSINGHAM HOUSE), THE COLLEGE
ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
23 September 1950
Date of last amendment:
19 June 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The Painted Chamber
formerly listed as part of
remains of Infirmary including
TL 5479 2/99 Chapel)
The painted Chamber now, a boarding house of King's School was built in
the early C14 by Sacrist Alan of walsingham for his own occupation. It
is built of Carr Stone rubble with Barnaok (or similar) stone dressings
and has much brick patching and brick parapets, The hall was raised above
a vaulted undereroft. On the south side (on Infirmary Lane), there is
a bay of the C12 Infirmary arcade, with richly ornamented arch and capitals.
The east and west fronts are divided by buttresses with splayed internal
angles. The windows are squared, with 2 lights with trefoil arched heads.
The north west corner has angle buttresses rising to an octagonal turret at
parapet level and the north east corner has an octagonal staircase tower
rising above a massive buttress with 3 offsets. A heavy chimney breast
projects on the north side above a-single storey projection with a lean-to
roof. In the interior, at the south end, there is a fine C12 doorway with
a semi-circular tympanum, originally an external doorway leading from the
north aisle of the Infirmary to the monks cemetery
The Dark Cloister, Powcher's Hall, the Painted Chamber (Walsingham House),
the Chapel of the Infirmary (Deanery), The Black Hostelry & Cellarers
Chamber and Cellarers House (Boarding House of King's School) form a group.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.