© Mr Alan Francis Polaine
CELLARERS HOUSE (BOARDING HOUSE OF KING'S SCHOOL), THE COLLEGE
ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Mr Alan Francis Polaine
07 April 2005
23 September 1950
Date of last amendment:
19 June 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
(Boarding House of
(formerly listed as
part of Residences
incorporating remains of
TL 5479 2/102 Infirmary including Chapel)
The Cellares House, now a boarding house of King's School extends south at
the west end of Infirmary Lane. It is probably of earlier date than Infirmary.
The ground storey has massive walls and a Norman barrel vault. Much of the
building was demolished in 1770 when the dwelling was built on the south
side. The north side has 2 bays of the C12 Infirmary arcade, with rickly
ornamented arches and capitals. The roof is tiled, with flat headed dormers.
the buff coloured house on the south side was built in 1770 and an upper
attic storey was added in the C19. The south front has 5 window range,
double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in flush cased frames. A central
C19 gabled porch projects on the front. The west front is C19 with 2 stone
mullioned bays, in C14 style and 2 crow-stepped gables. The roof is tiled,
with 5 C19 gabled dormers on the south front.
The Dark Cloister, Powcher's Hall, the Painted Chamber (Walsingham House),
the Chapel of the Infirmary (Deanery), the Black Hostelry and Cellarers Chamber
and Cellarers House (Boarding House of King's School) form a group.
See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.