You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 48713  

Print Page



©  Helmut Schulenburg

IoE Number: 48713
Location: BISHOP'S PALACE, PALACE GREEN
  ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Helmut Schulenburg
Date Photographed: 12 May 2006
Date listed: 23 September 1950
Date of last amendment: 19 June 1972
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

THE COLLEGE1082Bishop's PalaceTL 5379 2/12(The Palace School)TL 5479 2/1223.9.50.

THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 Bishop's Palace TL 5379 2/12 (The Palace School) TL 5479 2/12 23.9.50. GV 2, Bishop's Palace, which stands on the south side of Palace Green to the west of the Cathedral, was originally built in the C15 by Bishop Alcock (1486-1501). The only surviving part of Alcock's palace is the east tower and the lower part of the west tower. The upper part of the west tower and the west wing, facing Palace Green was built by Bishop Goodrich in 1550 and the recessed centre part and the block facing south to the garden was built by Bishop Laney (1667-75) who demolished the major part of Bishop Goodrich's palace. The east tower is a large, square, brick building with blue brick diapering and stone dressings. It has a parapet with a moulded stone string course, a plinth with moulded stone capping and corner buttresses with 3 offsets. On the west side there is an octagonal staircase turret with a stone spiral staircase. 4 storeys. 2 window range on the north front and 1 window range on the east and west fronts, 2-light stone dressed mullioned windows with arched lights and rectangular hood moulds. Moulded stone string courses run between the storeys. Between the windows on the lst storey there is a tripartite niche with carved stone hoods and sills and on the 2nd and 3rd storeys there are square stone panels carved with angel figures. The ground storey originally had a central gateway passage with elaborate lierne vaulting with richly carved bosses, the central boss bearing the arms of Bishop Alcock. Bishop Goodrich built the west tower to balance the earlier east tower and of similar design but without blue brick diapering and carved stonework. The octagonal staircase tower has a wood staircase. The west wing (Alcock's Gallery) is 2 storey with a parapet and a moulded stone string course. The 1st storey has 6 window range, stone mullioned and transomed windows with arched upper lights and rectangular hood moulds. The central window is an oriel bay bearing the arms of Edward VI. The south block of Bishop Laney is 2 storeys and attics, with short wings joining the main block with the towers and forming a forecourt The north front has a parapet and cornice and the ground storey has Ionic pilasters and a cornice. The centre part, of 1 window range, breaks forward slightly and has open scrolls above the doorway. 5 window range overall and 1 window rouge on the return wings. The 1st storey windows are wood mullioned and transomed easements, in stone architraves and the ground storey windows are stone dressed with stone mullions, arched lights and rectangular hood moulds. The doorway has Ionic columns, and a semi-circular arched hood, In 1771 Bishop Keen remodelled the interior of the palace and added a central staircase wing on thes south front. The east wing, facing the Gallery, has 4 window range and the south front has 4:1:4 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in cased frames and with stone architraves. A raised stone band runs between the storeys. The centre part breaks forward, with stone quoins and a Venetian window on the 1st storey. Roofs tiled, hipped, with gabled dormers. Bishop's Palace and Walls to Bishop's Palace form a group with The Chantry, Walls & gate to the Chantry, No 3, wall and railings to No3 Palace Green. Also Bishop's Palace & Walls to Bishop's Palace form a group with The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the Garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to Guest quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the king's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the monastery & Wall to the Barn & Storehouse, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) & No 9 (stables to Bishop's palace), The gallery. See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.