You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 48735  

Print Page



© Mr Alan Francis Polaine

IoE Number: 48735
Location: BISHOP'S PALACE, PALACE GREEN, 9 THE GALLERY
  ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Alan Francis Polaine
Date Photographed: 11 August 2004
Date listed: 23 September 1950
Date of last amendment: 19 June 1972
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

THE GALLERY 1. 1082 No 9 (Stables to Bishop's Palace) (formerly listed as part of Bishop's Palace, palace Green) TL 5379 2/145 TL 5479 2/145 GV 2. A C13 Carr stone rubble building with Barnack stone dressings. The north front was remodelled in the Cl6 and faced in red brick. Originally used as a range of stables with lofts and living quarters above, it is now a single dwelling. 2 storeys, The south front has C13 narrow lancet windows with arched heads on the lst storey and a loft doorway approached by an external wood staircase. The ground storey has C20 casement windows and garage accommodation. The north front of Cl6 red brick with stone dressings was probably built in circa 1550 by Bishop Goodrich when he built the west tower and wing to Bishopfs Palace. At the east end there is a stone dressed crows stepped gable with a loft entrance doorway. A number of blocked window openings survive, some with 4-centred arched heads. At the east end there is the blocked upper part of a 4-centred arched carriage way with squared hood mould and carved spandrels and a square stone panel, carved, above. The carriage way originally opened on to a stable yard on the south side where there is a corresponding 4-centred archway. Roof tiled. Nos 2 to 8 (consec), No 9 (stables to the Bishop's Palace) form a group with The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), The Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the Garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and wall to the Barn and Storehouse together with the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Bishop's palace and the Wall to the Bishop's palace. The college.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.