© Mr Alan Francis Polaine
4 LYNN ROAD (east side)
ELY, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Mr Alan Francis Polaine
07 June 2004
12 December 1968
Date of last amendment:
23 September 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
.. . - "..... . ...-- . -- -' L+@+ ROAD
1082 LYNN ROAD
TL 5480 1/31 23.9.50.
A C17 Building, possibly incorporating an earlier structure, considerably
altered in the C18 and later. It was used as a Jail from the end of
the C17 when the Bishop's jail was transferred from Ely Porta in 1836
when the Bishop lost his jurisdiction. In 1768 Bishop Manson partly
reconstructed the building. A prison report of 1804 reports on this prison:-
"This goal not being secure is the reason why felons are so securely
chained down. The irons used 18 or 19 pounds weight and one pair 43
pounds which in 1799 one John Gothard, a transport, had on for 3 days......"
There is only one iron collar with spikes now left and the last time
it was used was on James Thomson in the year 1798" The building is square
on plan and is built partly of stone rubble and partly of red and yellow
brick. 2 storeys. 2 window range on each front, the window
are partly double-hung sashes with glazing bars and partly C20 casements.
Some of the window openings retain the iron bars of the prison. The
1st storey rooms have the original heavy boarded, barred and double bolted
prison doors with inspection windows. Roof tiled, double pitched and
hipped. A small prisoners exercise yard remains on the east side.