You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 49485  

Print Page



© Mr Tony Wilding

IoE Number: 49485
Location: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, MAIN STREET (west side)
  THETFORD, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Tony Wilding
Date Photographed: 02 December 2004
Date listed: 05 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 05 February 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LITTLE THETFORDMAIN STREETTL 5376(West Side)21/10Church of St George5.2.52

LITTLE THETFORD MAIN STREET TL 5376 (West Side) 21/10 Church of St George 5.2.52 - 11* Parish church. Late C14, mostly rebuilt C19. Fieldstone and limestone rubble and dressed limestone with plain tiled roof having end parapets. Plan of nave and chancel. West gable end has a gabled double bellcote C19, of two, two-centred arches. The west window is also C19 and of three trefoil lights. The North and South walls of the nave have, in each wall, one window of three cinquefoil lights in ogee arches and square head. The tracery is of clunch and the mullion and architrave of limestone, possibly indicating an earlier restoration. The north porch is C19. Gabled, brick and rubblestone. Two centred outer arch of two moulded orders. The east gable of the nave was rebuilt in 1665 in narrow local brick (similar to that of Manor Farm, Wentworth, q.v.). The chancel has in the north wall two windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. The restored east window of three cinquefoil lights has an original label with mask stops. The windows in the south wall have been restored c.1980. Interior: Roof of C19 collar rafter type. C19 two centred chancel arch of two moulded orders, the inner on engaged colonettes. The font is late C14-early C15. Tapering limestone octagonal bowl with masks to each of four panels. The stem is much restored but has fragments of blind tracery panels. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p471 V.C.H.: Cambs., Vol. IV

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.