You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 49490  

Print Page



© Mr Patrick A. Smout LBIPP

IoE Number: 49490
Location: OLD ENGINE HOUSE, GREEN END
  STRETHAM, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Patrick A. Smout LBIPP
Date Photographed: 15 July 2001
Date listed: 13 May 1988
Date of last amendment: 13 May 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STRETHAMGREEN ENDTL 57 SW16/15Old Engine House13.5.88GVII*

STRETHAM GREEN END TL 57 SW 16/15 Old Engine House 13.5.88 GV II* Engine House. 1831 Gault brick, Flemish bond with slate roofs. In three parts. Engine house lying between the boilerhouse and scoopwheel house. Engine house of two storeys and loft. North gable has fixed metal frame casement a stone panel incised with the date and the names of the drainage commissioners and a tall similar fixed light window in round headed arch. The boiler house has a lean-to roof and is of one storey with a tall, tapering square stack on south side. In the north end are two cartway openings in round headed arches, one now blocked. The scoop wheel house is also of one storey. Interior: The interior is very intact and in near working order. The low pressure beam engine is by Butterley and Co, installed 1831 modified 1909, the boilerhouse has three Lancashire boilers replacing the first wagon boilers and the scoopwheel is in situ. There is a band of original pattern anthemion stencilled to the wall at dado height. This paintwork is original in the loft, but repainted elsewhere. In a small brick built structure behind the stokers cottage and semi-detached to the scoop-wheel house is a 200 hp Mirlees diesel installed 1925, with Gwynnes pump. An Act of parliament was passed in 1741 for the drainage of Waterbeach level. The water was pumped from the fen to the Old West River. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument County No 60. Alderton and Booker: Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia (Batsford) R.L. Hills: The Stretham Engine (Stretham Engine Preservation Trust) Kenny and Hills: Stretham Engine (mss. Cambs. Coun.) C.O. Clarke: Stretham Diesel Engine (Cambs. Colln.)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.