You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 49494  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Tree

IoE Number: 49494
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HIGH STREET (west side)
  STRETHAM, EAST CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Tree
Date Photographed: 19 June 2006
Date listed: 05 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 05 February 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STRETHAMHIGH STREETTL 5174(West Side)24/19Church of St James5.2.52

STRETHAM HIGH STREET TL 5174 (West Side) 24/19 Church of St James 5.2.52 GV II* Parish church. C14, west tower and north nave arcade. Extensive rebuilding and alterations of 1868 by St Aubyn. Coursed sandstone and limestone with plain tiled roofs and crested ridge tiles. Plan of west tower, nave and north and south aisles, north and south transepts and chancel. West tower, C14, of three stages with original angle buttressing, parapet and newel staircase in north-west angle. Ashlared octagonal spire has two tiers of gable Lucarne lights, C14. West window of three trefoil lights with reticulated tracery in two centred arch. Second stage has a single light window to each side in two centred arch of two chamfered orders. The bell stage has a two centred arch to a two-light opening in each side, each with a trefoil head. Nave. 1868. Clerestorey of five windows to each side, each of two trefoil lights. South aisle has windows of three trefoil lights in ogee arches and square heads. Gabled and buttressed south porch has two centred outer arch of two moulded orders. The south transept has three cinquefoil light window with foiled head. the chancel east window has five cinquefoil lights in a foiled head. Interior: C14 west tower arch. Two centred and of three continuously moulded orders. North arcade also C14. Four bays. Two centred arches of two hollow moulded orders, one with a broach stop on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. There is a continuous label with mask stops. South arcade, 1868, of four bays. Two centred arches on columns with moulded capitals and bases. A continuous label also has mask stops. North and south transepts are C19. The nave roof is in four bays and of braced collar rafter type with Queen struts and two tiers of curved wind bracing to the purlins. The aisle roofs are also 1868 and have similar wind bracing. Two centred chancel arch of two orders, the inner on corbels carved with stiff leaf foliage. The chancel roof is in four bays with braced collars and queen struts and wind bracing to the purlins. Monument: North wall of chancel, Anne Brunsell, wife of a rector, and sister of Sir Christopher Wren. Screen: C15. Single light divisions with open upper stage having cusped crocketed ogee arches and panel tracery. Monument: Recess in chancel wall. Inscribed tomb. Nicholas de Kyngestone, rector in late C13. Brass: Joan Swan d.1497. Font: C13. Tapering octagon on central stem with eight subsidiary stems with moulded capitals and waterholding bases. Plans, sections and elevations of the alterations to the church by St Aubyn are in the Rectory. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p462 V.C.H. Cambs., Vol. IV

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.