You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 50309  

Print Page



© Mr R. Keith Drewery

IoE Number: 50309
Location: BURGHLEY HOUSE,
  ST MARTINS WITHOUT, PETERBOROUGH, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr R. Keith Drewery
Date Photographed: 21 May 2002
Date listed: 16 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 16 January 1956
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

5141ST MARTINS WITHOUTBURGHLEY PARKBurghley House(formerly listed underthe Civil Parish ofTF 00 NW 1/51116.1.56Barnack)

1. 5141 ST MARTINS WITHOUT BURGHLEY PARK Burghley House (formerly listed under the Civil Parish of TF 00 NW 1/511 16.1.56 Barnack) I GV 2. On the common boundary of the Parishes of Barnack and St Martins Without and previously listed on 16 January 1956 under the Parish of Barnack only. Circa 1555 to circa 1587. One of the largest of the Elizabethan mansions. An earlier house on the site with remains of St Michaels Priory, incorporated in the present house, came into the possession of Richard Cecil between 1508 and 1528. Richard Cecil's son William Cecil Lord Burghley built the mansion. Built of Barnack stone. The hall with double hammer beam roof and the vaulted kitchen are the earliest parts and form the east side. The rest of the house is built around the other 3 sides of a rectangular courtyard. Three storeys, at the corners 3 storey and attic square towers with octagonal turrets with ogee cupolas. West front dated 1577 is 1:3:3:3:1 bays with projecting bay windows in the recesses between the angle towers and the central 4 storey entrance tower which has 4 octagonal corner turrets with ogee cupolas and a 3 storeyed canted bay window above a round arch bay with fine wrought iron gates by Jean Tijou. Openwork cresting over the parapet. The south side altered by Capability Brown circa 1763-5, 3 storeys, the top storey has blind windows, 12 bays the ground floor has 9 bay arcade and a C17 segmental pediment over the central entrance. The north front dated 1586 has projecting canted feature with ground floor loggia with semi-circular bay at centre and quater-circle bays in the angles, and with crestings and obelisks. Low projecting wing on the left (northeast) with end tower with octagonal top stage with ogee cap, the corresponding right hand wing having been demolished in C18. Semi-circular forecourt to the north side with fine wrought iron railings and gated. East side of the courtyard has large central tower in 4 stages, the ground and first stage have large coffered arches. A splayed bay above, each storey flanked by pilastered niches, with superimposed arches. Above is a square clock tower dated 1585 supported by lions and with obelisks at the corners, and surmounted by a huge obelisk spire. The central features of the north and south sides of the courtyard have tall niches above a 3 bay arcaded ground floor with Tuscan columns. The west side of the courtyard has octagonal turrets in the angles and taller ones above the centrepiece which has a narrow bowed window over the doorway flanked by Tuscan columns. The courtyard was altered in 1830s by Gandy-Deering. The skyline is dominated by turrets, numerous column chimney shafts and the spire over the clock turret. Interior: Great hall has a double hammer beam roof, a classical fireplace of slightly later date ; bookcases from Belgium inserted circa 1830. Vaulted kitchen of circa 1556 north of hall. Chapel altered in 1830 but retains altar piece by Veronese and wood carving by Grinling Gibbons. 'Roman' staircase with coffered stone vault. During the 1680s and 1690s much of the interior was redecorated and the south front was altered. Ballroom decorated by Laguerre in 1689. Much carving by Grinling Gibbons including very fine overmantel in Marble Hall. State rooms with painting by Verria and a chimney piece by Piranesi, stucco ceilings by Edward Martin 1680-2, or possibly by Robert Adam or Thomas Lumby. Grand staircase of 1782, Gothic billiard room, north dining room and library ceilings of circa 1756 and other work by Capability Brown about 1756 including landscaping of the park and outbuildings. Country Life vol 114 3/12/53-31/12/53 add vol. 158 16/10/75. VCR Northants Vol II.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.