You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 54103  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 54103
Location: HOUGHTON MILL, MILL STREET (south side)
  HOUGHTON AND WYTON, HUNTINGDONSHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 24 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 24 October 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOUGHTON AND WYTONMILL STREET5140(south side)HoughtonHoughton Mill

HOUGHTON AND WYTON MILL STREET 1. 5140 (south side) Houghton Houghton Mill TL 28 71 14/1 24.10.51 II* GV 2. C17 water mill, rebuilt and extended in C18 and C19. Three-storeys and attics. Gault brick, red brick and two inch brick. Part timber-framed and weather-boarded with plain tile roof and gabled gantries. Pivot hung windows with glazing bars. Modern external wooden fire staircase with two landing stages. Open, through passage to right of centre with foot bridges on either side of mill spanning two weirs. Three original, breast- driven wheels removed in 1931 and replaced by modern sluices. Interior: Three pairs of grinding stones still in situ on grinding floor with other mill machinery intact; storage bins and shoots at first and second-floor levels. Original staircase, floors and trap-doors. Mills have been recorded on this site since 974. The present mill replaces one burnt down in C17. It ceased to work in 1930 and became a Youth Hostel in 1934. In 1939 it was given to the National Trust. It is now the only surviving watermill on the River Ouse in the old county of Huntingdonshire. It is noted for its picturesque setting and is frequented by landscape artists. (Ref P.G.M. Dickinson, 1973) (RCHM Huntingdonshire Mon 6 p 144).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.