You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 54804  

Print Page



© Mr JM Webber ARPS

IoE Number: 54804
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  WINWICK, HUNTINGDONSHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr JM Webber ARPS
Date Photographed: 11 September 1999
Date listed: 28 January 1958
Date of last amendment: 28 January 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

L 1080WINWICKWINWICK15/85Parish Church of28.1.58All Saints

L 1080 WINWICK WINWICK 15/85 Parish Church of 28.1.58 All Saints II* Parish church. C12 south doorway; chancel and nave rebuilt mid C13 with south arcade and south aisle. Circa 1320 north aisle and arcade and chancel arch rebuilt. Early C15 south transept and late C15 west tower. North aisle partly rebuilt in C16 and roofs renewed. Rebuilding and restoration by Slater and Carpenter, in 1864 of south transept, south aisle, clerestory, porch and upper part of spire, also repaired in 1935. Walls of Weldon rubble and ashlar with dressings of Ketton stone, roofs of tiles, lead, and stone slates. South elevation: West tower of four internal stages with moulded plinth and cornice, belfry window of two four-centred lights in four-centred head with moulded label; the octagonal broach-spire has two ranges of spire-lights in gabled heads. Two C19 round octofoil clerestory windows; two south aisle windows, one C19 and one early C14 with three pointed lights with plain intersecting tracery and two-centred head with moulded label. South doorway reset with two-centred arch of two continuous orders with moulded label, outer order enriched with chevron ornament and inner order with roll-moulding. South transept window transomed four-cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in four-centred head with moulded reveals and label with head-stops. Chancel window, early C14 of two trefoiled-lights in a two-centred head. Interior: Nave north arcade c.1320 of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with moulded labels; octagonal columns and semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. South arcade c.1250 of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with moulded labels, central column octagonal, other columns round with semi-octagonal responds, all with moulded capitals enriched with nail-head ornament and moulded bases. Tower arch two-centred of two chamfered orders dying on side walls. South transept half arch of two chamfered orders to south aisle. C19 porch with two-centred outer arch of two moulded orders carved on three circular detached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch c.1340, two-centred with two hollow-chamfered orders, inner order springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Piscina in south transept with hollow-chamfered jambs and trefoiled ogee head; octofoil drain. Font, C13 tapering square bowl with splayed angles and chamfered edges, octagonal stem with four shafts each with carved capitals and moulded bases. Early C16 roof. Screen, early C16 incorporated into C19 screens of south transept. Brass in tower to Edward Collins 1685-6 with inscription only, from slab in porch. Nave roof of four bays with cambered tie beams, wall posts and curved braces; north aisle pent roof with foliage and scroll bosses, scrolls inscribed 'Tom' 'Rob' 'I. Elington Siv'; south transept roof of four bays with moulded main timbers cambered tie beams with carved bosses; (south aisle roof similar but restored). RCHM: Huntingdonshire p290 VCH: Huntingdonshire p123 Pevsner: Buildings of England p366 Woodger A: Huntingdonshire Church Towers Archeol J 141 1984

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.