You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 55540  

Print Page



© Mr Len Shipley ARPS

IoE Number: 55540
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, WAVERTON VILLAGE (east side)
  WAVERTON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Len Shipley ARPS
Date Photographed: 16 February 2001
Date listed: 01 March 1967
Date of last amendment: 01 March 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 46 SEWAVERTON C.P.THE VILLAGE(East Side)2/28Church of St. Peter

SJ 46 SE WAVERTON C.P. THE VILLAGE (East Side) 2/28 Church of St. Peter 1/3/1967 GV II* Church: tower C16, aisles and nave roof early-mid C17, restoration and additions dated 1845, and 1888 by John Douglas when clerestorey rebuilt. Ashlar Waverton red sandstone, Lakeland green slate roof. 3-bay nave, 1-bay chancel with continuous north and south aisles. 3-stage west tower. Nave bays are divided by buttresses and have rectangular windows of 3 round-headed lights. On south side is a blocked basket-arched door and a late C19 window of 2 ogee-headed lights. Similar round-headed light windows in clerestorey. 3-light perpendicular-style east window with round-headed light windows in the end of the aisles. Tower has angle buttresses and good 4-centred arched west doorway with arms in the spandrels below a label mould on figure stops. Central figure seated on hood mould flanked by the arms of the Dutton and Hatton families. 4-light Perpendicular window of 1888, square opening with quatrefoil, under hood mould and louvred 3-light bell opening in the top stage, below an embattled parapet. Late C19 recessed, shingled pyramidal roof. Interior: Entry into re-opened tower porch with plaques recording the restorations. Tall tower arch on applied hexagonal piers opens into nave with 3-bay arcades on octagonal piers. Restored hammer-beamed roof dated 1635 with carved brackets and pendants has dentilled arrises to arch braces and window braced purlins. Contemporary lean-to aisle roofs have similar decorative treatment. Chancel is timber framed internally (perhaps copying original treatment) and has good fittings of late C19/early C20 including a memorial pulpit of 1903 to the 1st Duke of Westminster. Very detailed board of customary table of tithes in porch.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.