You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 55781  

Print Page



© Dr John L. Wishlade

IoE Number: 55781
Location: WILLINGTON HALL, WILLINGTON LANE (west side)
  WILLINGTON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Dr John L. Wishlade
Date Photographed: 17 September 2001
Date listed: 08 November 1985
Date of last amendment: 08 November 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 56 NWWILLINGTON C.P.WILLINGTON LANE(West Side)3/77Willington Hall.

SJ 56 NW WILLINGTON C.P. WILLINGTON LANE (West Side) 3/77 Willington Hall. GV II Formerly hall, now hotel: dated 1829 on plinth, by George Latham of Nantwich for Col. W Tomkinsonjsome alterations of 1878 and c1955. Flemish bond orange brick, blue brick diapering and buff sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roof of 2 parallel ranges, brick chimneys with lines of octagonal stacks with stone caps. Jacobean style. Square in plan with servants wing. 2-storey and attic, symmetrical 3-bay south garden front. Stone plinth, flush quoins, moulded band at 2nd floor and copings. End bays have canted stone bays with mullioned and transomed windows and small pane glazing. 3-light mullioned and transomed windows above, and 2-light mullioned window in half dormer with shaped and pedimented gable. Central bay has 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. 2-storey and attic, symmetrical, 3-bay entrance front. Twin triangular gables with stone copings and finials. Mullioned and transomed windows and central detached Tuscan porch of c1955. Servants wing extends to the right. Interior: entry into hall with panelled ceiling. Open well oak staircase with turned column balusters and square newels. 2 main rooms to left have oak doors with 6 moulded panels, and panelled reveals. Drawing room has 4-centred arched stone fireplace with clusters of shafts to either side. Said to be inspired by Dorfold Hall, Nantwich owned by another branch of family. The detailing is very similar to Arley Hall also by George Latham. A detailed specification for this house exists in the Cheshire Record Office (DTM/57).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.