You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 57388  

Print Page



© Mr John Riley

IoE Number: 57388
Location: BRUNNER GUILDHALL, HIGH STREET
  WINSFORD, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Riley
Date Photographed: 28 July 2002
Date listed: 12 March 1986
Date of last amendment: 12 March 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WINSFORD FORMER U.D.HIGH STREETSJ 66 NW4/104Brunner Guildhall.-GVII

WINSFORD FORMER U.D. HIGH STREET SJ 66 NW 4/104 Brunner Guildhall. - GV II Guildhall. Dated 1899. Red English garden wall bond brick with terra-cotta dressings and slate roof. Two storeys.Flemish Gothic. Entrance front: Eight bays, nearly symmetrically disposed. The two bays at centre are paired as are the two to either side of them which have gables above. Two central ground floor entrances have basket arches, that at right containing double doors, that at left containing window with two basket-arched lights and datestone below of pink granite which reads THIS HALL WAS PRESENTED TO THE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL OF WINSFORD BY SIR JOHN TOMLINSON BRUNNER BARONET MEMBER FOR THE NORTHWICH DIVISION OF CHESHIRE IN TRUST FOR THE DAILY USE OF TRADE AND FRIENDLY SOCIETIES AND OTHER PUBLIC PURPOSES UNDER THE MANAGEMENT OF A REPRESENTATIVE COMMITTEE AND WAS OPENED BY HIM ON THE FOURTH DAY OF NOVEMBER 1899 EDWIN HAMLETT CHAIRMAN ) OF THE COUNCIL JOHN HENRY COOKE CLERK ) ON THE FIFTEENTH DAY OF SEPTEMBER 1898 THE COUNCIL, MR WILLIAM STUBBS, CHAIRMAN DECIDED BY RESOLUTION TO GIVE TO THE BUILDING THE NAME OF THE BRUNNER GUILDHALL. Two cross windows to first floor with ogee heads to upper lights and ovolo moulded terra-cotta surrounds. The two bays to either side of the centre set under the shaped gables have cross windows to the ground floor with ogee heads and ovolo moulded surrounds as before. Similar, fuller windows to first floor each with mullion and 2 transoms. Between these windows run canted decorative vertical strips rising through to the apexes of the gables. Gables have ovolo moulded terra-cotta coping with angled finials to lower sides and summit. To far left and right are 3-light windows of the usual format to both floors. Right hand gable end: shaped gable. Five of the canted decorative vertical strips of terra-cotta seen on the entrance front appear here. Three-light ground floor window with transom and taller first floor window with two transoms. Left hand gable end: Similar save for 2-light ground floor window to left. Rear: central projecting gabled staircase wing with single mezzanine window of 4-lights with cambered relieving arch above. To either side are 3-light ground and first floor windows. To far right is an outshut with a two-light window and a hipped roof and to the left is a second, later lean-to outshut.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.